Trade in value 129 500SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMG19

Car
500SL
Hi guys,

As the title suggests I have an early(G reg) W129 500 SL. It has covered 115,000 miles and has great history. Its taxed and MOT'd and in average condition(nothing major just a few scratchs.)

I need shot quick and am going to trade it in over the next couple of weeks for a diesel.

The question is what do you guys think is reasonable as a trade in value? I need to prepare myself for negotiations and could do with some advise.

Cheers.

Hopefully Jay will be along to give you an idea but IMHO a 22 year old car is going to get you next to nothing as a trade in. You'd be far better off sticking it on eBay.

I'll give you £500 for it.

And one of your CLKs I assume Howard:)

I had not even considered Ebay. I think that could be a plan!

ebay and pistonheads

Dealers will bid very low if anything

I would expect a few dealers to simply not want to take it in.

eBay really is your best bet.

You would be lucky to get 2k from a dealer, if that, especially now as it's getting in to autumn/winter, convertible prices are starting to drop.

Hi guys,

As the title suggests I have an early(G reg) W129 500 SL. It has covered 115,000 miles and has great history. Its taxed and MOT'd and in average condition(nothing major just a few scratchs.)

I need shot quick and am going to trade it in over the next couple of weeks for a diesel.

The question is what do you guys think is reasonable as a trade in value? I need to prepare myself for negotiations and could do with some advise.

Cheers.

I know someone who is looking for something like this if you want to drop me a line.

Must depend what your trading it in for.

If a new SL say at £65K the the "generous trade in" is actually what they would negotiate off anyway.

At the end of the day its the price to swap for what you want however the numbers work out.

It will vary depending on how much profit the dealer has in the car you want to buy/px off him.

If it's a straight buy in from you without you buying his I still stand by 2k, if he has 2-3k in the car you want to buy from him you may be lucky and get 3k.

Best thing to do is take it to a few different dealers and see.

A trader pal of mine recently paid £3750 for a very nice 94/95 R129, M reg I think, with genuine 40k miles and an as new soft top.
Hope this helps.

Mic

Thanks get him to call/text me if he has any questions. 07756105104

Really that much, for an '89 with 115k miles?!

That would be generous and the customer would have to be buying a decent priced car..... Id expect any excellent R129 to sell in the region of 4.5-5K (starting).
If its tatty then the value will drop straight down.

With early R129's the plate is less relevant than mileage and condition.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks Jay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom