Trader - vehicle repair question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Good morning,

A family member purchased a 3 year old car from a trader around 1 hour away 2 months ago, today the EML has come on.

I am going to call the trader this afternoon, will we be obliged to take the car back to them to have it repaired at a garage of their choice? This would be incredibly inconvenient - or could I request the car be repaired at a local dealer nearby and forward them the invoice?

Many thanks.

They are legally oblinged to fix the faults within 3 months, but you dont have a choice of where to get it fixed.

Its not their fault you live miles away + its not in their interest to have another garage rack up costs. virtually all garages will want to repair it themselves.

Sorry I should have said the trader doesn’t have their own workshop so I assume outsources the work anyway

mm difficult, a decent trader should be willing to let you choose a garage of your choice.
Did the car come with any after market warranty?
3 months warranty apparently

3 months warranty apparently

Presumably the 3-months after-market warranty is with a warranty provider, who is a third party? If so then in most cases they will let your relative choose the garage, but he or she will need to submit a formal claim before going ahead with any repairs. Did he or she get any documentation with the warranty?

EDIT: The trader's liability is usually greater than what the mechanical warranty will cover, so in the event that the warranty provider says that the particular issue is not covered, you can still go back to the trader and ask them what they propose - as others said, chances are that they will want the car back to them (or to the local-to-them garage they use), but if your relative is lucky then the trader might agree to him or her booking-in the car at a local garage of his/her choice.

Last edited:
May be better to find why the EML has come on, it may be something simple and easily fixed.

Will get recovery out to scan the codes for her. 👍 Thanks guys.

Well recovery came out and the EML had gone off 🤦‍♂️
They had no diagnostic tool ☹️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom