Trading in with a fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andylinney

Car
Volvo c70 T5 / BMW 316Sport
Hi, I've decided to take everyone's advice and I'm going to trade my car in but my question is can I trade it in with the SRS warning still present or will it need to be fixed first? I know stealers build in a margin for repairs but am I likely to loose out majorly on trade in value with an untreated fault?

Whilst I wouldn't condone not being up front about the fault it is upto the garage to check the car over prior to taking it in. Some will and some won't depending on wether or not they are just going to chuck it in the next auction. Will you be able to live with yourself if you don't declare it?:D

Hi,
Don,t say anything to the dealer about the SRS light unless he asks about it, then tell him it has only been on for a day or two and you have spoken to someone who has said it was a loose connection under the passenger seat. That's what I would do anyway.

Just be upfront.. it wont make a difference on the cost to the dealer but makes all the difference to know you have been upfront and honest.

I would much prefer to know of any faults so we can fix them in our time than to find out when the next owner rings up with a complaint... of course we check and service every car but some things only show up in proper use.

Tell the trader about the SRS light, you will sleep better knowing that you have been upfront and honest.

Don't people on this forum complain when they buy a car that turns out to have faults?

Advocating doing it to a trader is no different, in my book.

Thanks everyone, given that MB want £95+vat just to plug it into STAR I really don't want to waste any more money on it.

I'll drive into a few places tomorrow and see how I get on. Andy.

Its (SRS light) is a an MOT failure for a reason, tell them and let them sort it.

Thanks everyone, given that MB want £95+vat just to plug it into STAR I really don't want to waste any more money on it.

I'll drive into a few places tomorrow and see how I get on. Andy.

Take it to an indy , or even just a back street garage.

I picked up my car from the paintshop the other day having had a new door and the SRS light was on , because the door airbag had been disconnected , the garage in the next unit turned it off for me for nothing , took all of about 20 seconds.

Bung them a tenner and they'll do it for you.

It's not an MOT failure at the moment, it will be next year though.

correct yes.

personally i'd not tell them and let them find any faults. its up to them. i'm sure they wont be shouting about any hidden issues/faults that may be on the new car, so why should you.

i wouldnt remove the bulb but might do depending on how the deal has gone so far - if the stealer is offering a poor part-ex and isnt moving on the sticker price on the new car then i wouldnt help him out either.

just my 2p worth :D

" wouldnt remove the bulb but might do depending on how the deal has gone so far "

^ really would you do that???

For the sake of a few hundred quid???

What if there IS A fault with the Airbag and someone you knew buys the car. Noone would know unless its too late???

Note to self: never buy a car off yourself...

Agreed.

So if the dealer won't give away all his profit , sabotage the car by removing the bulb ?

SRS faults aren't just loose connectors , the light covers everything from the connector to a complete airbag system failure.

Would you sleep well knowing someone and their family could be wiped out by your selfishness ? I wouldn't ......

And saying the dealer should pick up on it when he inspects the car is just passing responsibilty for your actions.

Wonder how it would stand if someone was killed and the cluster was inspected / fingerprinted and your prints were all over the bulb surround and innards that you'd have no need to be unless you were removing / replacing a bulb ?

Not telling the trader is indeed an option, but expect them to spot it fairly quickly.

I must admit, I am surprised that the suggestion of removing the bulb even came up on this forum, surely not a reasonable course of action?

It generally is a bad connection, i've never heard of a control unit failing. Unless it was triggered? ?

Doesn't mean it can't happen.

Not telling the trader is indeed an option, but expect them to spot it fairly quickly.

I must admit, I am surprised that the suggestion of removing the bulb even came up on this forum, surely not a reasonable course of action?

He's in finance, so banker genes - what did you expect? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom