Traffic contravention - which one? (poll)

What are the restrictions in force on this section of road?

• Pedestrian Crossing - no stopping/parking

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Bus Stop - no stopping/parking

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Bus Lane - permitted vehicles only (during restriction)

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Red Route - no stopping/parking

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • Option 3 and some others

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dougal74

Car
Past: 2008 S211 E280CDi A/G Estate, 2000 ML430, 1992 300TE Auto, 1995 E320 Coupe - all gone
Before I submit the details on why I'd like your reponses, I just wanted to gauge how a sample of forumers (i.e. regular road users) would respond to the picture below. Please have a look at the following photo and then vote for what you think you are restricted from doing (I know there are lots of possible permutations but I wanted to keep the list down and you can vote for more than one option): -

viewfromcrossing.jpg

Last edited:
the bus lane is not clear from the photos - nor is the red route from signs previously passed........

My brain hurts :crazy:

Imagine if you took time out to actually go and see this bit of road to find out how you had done what TfL are claiming is so obvious!:(

After having walked up and down the road I'm amazed more people don't get caught - it is a nightmare.

the bus lane is not clear from the photos - nor is the red route from signs previously passed........

But they look like a continuation and there is a solid white line and a red one.

I was going to ask for signage shots but just a driver only needs lines.

I agree - not seeing the road or signs that appear before the point at which the photo is taken makes it difficult to judge.

I went for 1, 2 & 4 as I don't know if there is a bus lane there, if there is then it would be all of the above. Also the red route - the markings are not clear and without signs it could just be an old poor road surface.

But pedestrian crossing - assuming there is one before the zig-zags and bus stop are pretty obvious - I would say:crazy:

Last edited:
From about 400 yards further back up the road. Red route sign is in the farground (on the lampost)
nearestsign.jpg

But they look like a continuation and there is a solid white line and a red one.

I was going to ask for signage shots but just a driver only needs lines.

No - you need the signs as they tell you the times the restrictions apply. The marking indicate there is a restriction. The signs tell you the detail.;)

I assume the lines are continuations from before the pedestrian crossing and the crossing broke them as zig zags have higher priority. So when the lines started there would have been signs.

eta - the other pic makes it all clear. As I said, I believe the pedestrian crossing takes priority as it is for pedesatrian safety so the zig zags broke the lines but did not stop them being in effect. The restriction applies until you are told it has ended. Ie - end of bus lane, end of red zone.

Last edited:
No - you need the signs as they tell you the times the restrictions apply. The marking indicate there is a restriction. The signs tell you the detail.;)

I assume the lines are continuations from before the pedestrian crossing and the crossing broke them as zig zags have higher priority. So when the lines started there would have been signs.

True but the traffic positioning was a giveaway as it the unbroken white line and thick red one.;)

True but the traffic positioning was a giveaway as it the unbroken white line and thick red one.;)

Would not disgaree ;) but how often do you see traffic, especially cars, avoiding bus lanes at all times because they don't know they can be used outside the times stated ;)

Very true and you might expect one of the restrictions ;) to continue for some distance wouldn't you: -
roadcolour-surface.jpg

endofsign.jpg

29 paces or thereabouts.

Very true and you might expect one of the restrictions ;) to continue for some distance wouldn't you: -

29 paces or thereabouts.

Presumably the first post that was suitable for the sign to go on.:confused:

So is there a tale to this thread? Has someone been "done"?

Presumably the first post that was suitable for the sign to go on.:confused:

So is there a tale to this thread? Has someone been "done"?

;)

29 paces or thereabouts.

I'd worked out it was End of Bus Lane due to the turning.

The 29 paces are only the continuation, prior to the crossing it appears to be much longer.

Worked that one out too..:D
Which contravention. Don't say, all of the above...

Okay, hope this doesn't mess up the poll (please!), £120 fine for driving in a bus lane. I was navigating through London and looking at the junction not the road markings and missed the solid white line. Knew the bus lane from earlier but thought it had ended at the crossing when the carraigeway turned from red to black so pulled into the left hand lane (along with three others). Irony is I catch two buses every day of my working life so I don't drive in bus lanes even when they are not in operation!:rolleyes:

visiblelane.jpg

Bugger! Easily done.

I thought you could stop on the zig zag - just not park there...how else do you let pedestrians cross......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom