Traffic Cops - talking carp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
That crashed red car with roll cage.

Firstly they say the car has been modified for track use - true.
Then they say he was driving too fast - quite possibly true.
Then they said the roll cage saved his life - quite possibly true.
Then they said that car shouldn't me on the road despite it being road legal - how so?

Surely the only accurate conclusion is that he shouldn't have been speeding. The roll cage saved his bacon.

Roll cages are just visible crash safety devices. Modern cars have this to some degree integrated in the body structure. Do traffic cops really wish us all to drive around in classic cars with no safety devices?

Silly policeman let his discrimination get in the way of rational thought.

(owner of car with roll cage)

That crashed red car with roll cage.

Firstly they say the car has been modified for track use - true.
Then they say he was driving too fast - quite possibly true.
Then they said the roll cage saved his life - quite possibly true.
Then they said that car shouldn't me on the road despite it being road legal - how so?

Surely the only accurate conclusion is that he shouldn't have been speeding. The roll cage saved his bacon.

Roll cages are just visible crash safety devices. Modern cars have this to some degree integrated in the body structure. Do traffic cops really wish us all to drive around in classic cars with no safety devices?

Silly policeman let his discrimination get in the way of rational thought.

(owner of car with roll cage)

If he had normal seatbelts with the cage he would have been dead, it was the combination of the full harness and cage that saved him.

Also some shocking driving from so called professionals, hands off wheel for no justifiable reason :doh:

The Police on such programmes just like to lecture and talk sensationalist rubbish as it's good for the programme.

So it would appear a Skoda with 4 flat tyres can outrun a Jaguar XFR traffic car :eek: No surprises there then :D both an equal pile of junk in their own rights

skoda_big.jpg

Perhaps it was because of the made-up number plate...

What do you think it was supposed to be? HARTY would presumably be a bad representation of H4 RTY which is now showing on a Golf GTI

Can't think what else it could be?

So it would appear a Skoda with 4 flat tyres can outrun a Jaguar XFR traffic car :eek: No surprises there then :D both an equal pile of junk in their own rights

Presumably the Jag had some sort of diesel engine?

Policemen seemed a bit limp, seen more agressive bus drivers....

Policemen seemed a bit limp, seen more agressive bus drivers....

Actually you are right I never thought of that, I just assumed it was the XFR like they use in this neck of the woods (they fight over who's not going to drive it) Maybe it was a diesel after all but what strange choice of motorway car, and you spot on about the drivers :thumb:

What do you think it was supposed to be? HARTY would presumably be a bad representation of H4 RTY which is now showing on a Golf GTI

Can't think what else it could be?

My first thought was HAR 7Y, but it's not that either. In fact, none of the single-digit numbers in the series H_ RTY or HAR _Y fits, so either this was all filmed ages ago and the plate has since been transferred to another car, or he really had just made the plate up, perhaps for track use.

Equally why was the police driver doing in his words "80mph", I didn't know they were allowed to exceed the limit any more than the rest of us unless doing something important.

Equally why was the police driver doing in his words "80mph", I didn't know they were allowed to exceed the limit any more than the rest of us unless doing something important.

I thought he gave a fairly reasonable explanation for that.

Round here the street police interceptors are BMW 335d's and they are very successful as city prowlers/interceptors.

Away from corners, islands etc. I'd imagine diesels would be super punchy from zero revs.

Round here the street police interceptors are BMW 335d's and they are very successful as city prowlers/interceptors.

Away from corners, islands etc. I'd imagine diesels would be super punchy from zero revs.

The police got left behind by a drunk in a Skoda estate with 4 flat tyres, perhaps some patrol cars with petrol engines are needed?

^ have you seen the price of petrol and the economy of the XFR?

Seems the police are too poor to buy the right car for the job......."not fit for purpose" I think is the phrase. Which leads me to my other beef....why are so many of them overweight or clearly of poor fitness? Watching some of them run after criminals after a decamp is laughable at times.....I'd quite fancy my chances against them.....but I drive(*) a car with a roll cage, so shouldn't really be on the public roads ;) :)

* I sold the car over the w/e, but will buy another soon....so near enough accurate

I think they explained the whole keeping a safe distance and not encouraging the Skoda driver to drive even more dangerously, sadly their hands are tied by the health and safety mob. I'm sure most coppers would love to get involved in a high speed pursuit and ram the feckers into a wall.
On the rollcage front, if you're driving within the speed limit surely you don't need one? So is it an indicator of some one driving recklessly or just a vanity thing? I honestly don't get it at all.

On the rollcage front, if you're driving within the speed limit surely you don't need one? So is it an indicator of some one driving recklessly or just a vanity thing? I honestly don't get it at all.

It's used by people who often do track days, but use the same car on the public roads for going to work, week-end driving etc. It may look chavy but it's an important safety item for track day cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom