Traffic cops tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
Or I could have titled it 'why you should not let your dealer return your car to you after it's service'.
To précis: Dunstable Audi mechanic caught doing 116 mph on dual carriageway and then 60 in a 30 returning car to customer.
Always drop off and collect my car myself.

Apart from the risk of crashing it, why does it matter if they speed in it? I mean from a mechanical point of view?

Apart from the risk of crashing it, why does it matter if they speed in it? I mean from a mechanical point of view?

Agreed - surely driving an Audi at 116mph - without hitting anything that is - will not actually damage it?

Question.
If it was your car and you knew the speed it had been driven at by the mechanic would you be happy with that.
My answer.
Totally not.

Let's all try it on a test drive with a salesman in the passenger seat !

116mph not an issue really. What would worry me more is the path to get to that speed. Bet he ragged it in every gear ! If it was my car I would want his head on a plate.

A friend of mine took his Range Rover in for an alternator under warranty, he dropped it off and they said it would be ready to pick up in the morning.

By dinnertime the next day there was no call, so he left it till afternoon before ringing them up. He then rang to find out what was happening, giving them his Reg. plate.

"Yes sir, it's just in the bodyshop now and it'll be ready in the morning":eek::eek:

Turns out that the lad who fitted the alternator decided to take the car out for a spin and the bonnet was wasn't closed correctly....

I think you can guess the rest....

116mph not an issue really. What would worry me more is the path to get to that speed. Bet he ragged it in every gear ! If it was my car I would want his head on a plate.

So what, isn't the rev limiter there to stop any damage. I don't think mine has been there today...

I was once informed my car was fixed after a work colleague saw it being caned from some traffic lights then ragged down an A road.

I phoned the dealer to check then went and collected...

No issue, but the mechanic went bright red when I said he was seen...:D

So what, isn't the rev limiter there to stop any damage. I don't think mine has been there today...

I was once informed my car was fixed after a work colleague saw it being caned from some traffic lights then ragged down an A road.

It's all about respect of other peoples property. I nor anyone who works for us would treat a customers car in the manner in the OP link. Speed and damage is not the issue but respect is. There is no need to drive the car at that speed in the first place so why do it? Respect for other people property seems to be very lacking in society these days and then we wonder why the youth of today are growing up like they are. If parents taught respect for ther peoples property and brought up their kids to know right from wrong then incidents like this would not happen in the first place. If the mechanic in the OP link was employed by me I would have fired him instantly.

Rev limiter or not I wouldn't want anyone revving my car to 5000 rpm on a cold engine.

I've got something similar happening at the minute E-class was in to have the dash pod rattle fixed and some other bits sorted - some tool from my local dealer took my car out and messed the passenger front wheel up then when they had the car in to have the wheel refurbed and figured they couldn't match the finish the passenger rear wheel got damaged somehow??

Thing is the tech I spoke to (not one that worked on my car but knew it was in) reckons that one of the sales staff has taken the car out and damaged it after it was fixed because he said that most the issues were sorted the day I took it in just had to wait an extra day for another part to be delivered and fitted the following morning, he also said to his knowledge the car didn't need to be taken on a test drive for what was being replaced.

This is compounded by the fact that one of my friends had seen my car being driven around when he knew it had gone in for work to be done but kindly text me to tell me where and when he saw it but didn't get a clear view of the driver.

Either way no body knows WHO drove the car but all the trips were reset and I never clocked my odometer because I trusted them to not do anything like that.

Turns out now that because they can't match the finish on either wheel to the other two that are undamaged they *may* have to buy me two new alloys, I told them that it's pretty straightforward if they can't match it they have to buy new ones otherwise I'll elevate it to MB UK and they can deal with that as well.

What was most annoying is that on switching back to the standard AMG rims one of the techs said (after helping to unload the alloys from the GL) "ooh, there's a little mark on this wheel *pauses* ...we didn't do that one, I'd better check the rest" at which point I pretty much ripped his head off infront of the service manager, my salesman and a few customers that were circulating the area about how there's no respect for property, nobody's owned up etc, I can damage my car however I want because it's mine, when one of you damage it you should come clean and resolve it.. even shouted over to the (potential?) customers that if they buy a car one of the techs or salesmen would break it and play ignorant about it.. they quickly walked off and left but it just goes to show you how disrespectful some staff at Merc dealers are. :wallbash:

.....I told them that it's pretty straightforward if they can't match it they have to buy new ones otherwise I'll elevate it to MB UK and they can deal with that as well.

Or you could inform them that you'll report the matter to the police who will then investgate a case of TWOC.

So what, isn't the rev limiter there to stop any damage...........

No. The rev limiter is there to stop damage to the engine caused by over-revving.

The rev limiter doesn't protect the tyres, brakes, clutch, or gearbox.

If the engine oil is cold, would it even protect the engine adequately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom