Traffic Cops!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

Driving on the M6 today coming home from Manchester.

In the middle lane doing around 65mph. About 50 yds behind an HGV on the inside lane. BMW X5 police car passes me on the outside doing maybe 70-75mph

No flashing lights. AS SOON as he passes me he crosses the 2 lanes (pulling first, in front of me, then the HGV) stays there for about 5 seconds then crosses the 2 lanes again into the outside lane to overtake more vehicles.

All the above very aggressive and without indicating.

Had I have done this to him (and assuming I was not speeding) would he have pulled me over? Is this double standards or am I being touchy? :dk:

Ant.

Double standards Ant.
Had you captured the action on a car cam and presented a copy to the Manchester Chief of Police with a complaint something may have been done.( I couldn't be ar$ed to do anything like that myself) Otherwise, business as usual for the traffic police.

Nothing wrong with the overtake and move to the inside lane but to move back out again without indication is a bit out of order.

Perhaps he thought you were lane hogging? (not saying you were btw)

No David, I was fast approaching the slow moving HGV. Middle lane driving is a MASSIVE pet hate of mine. I alway return to the inside lane when I can.

Nothing wrong with the overtake and move to the inside lane but to move back out again without indication is a bit out of order.

You say that Ian but he really cut across me. (Within meters I'd say) then did the same to the HGV.

HE didn't indicate either way left or right.

As I said, had I cut across him I'm sure he'd have pulled me over.

:doh:

Btw the reason I was doing 65 is I spotted him approaching me.

Maybe he was miffed because he knew you'd been doing 95+ but didn't have time to get a proper fix on you. :D

Derek, I get a nose bleed above 75mph.

Also, over that and I can't hear my Now 27 album. :bannana:

You say that Ian but he really cut across me. (Within meters I'd say) then did the same to the HGV.

HE didn't indicate either way left or right.

As I said, had I cut across him I'm sure he'd have pulled me over.

:doh:

Btw the reason I was doing 65 is I spotted him approaching me.

Police drivers are (were) taught not to indicate when moving back left unless in pursuit or want to make sure someone really knows their intentions like a high speed dive off the motorway from lane 3 at the last minute. It is taken as a given that the vehicle they have overtaken will expect them to move back in. I've had them do it to me within inches let Alone Meters :) naughty not to indicate back out though.

When I did my driving course, we were taught not to indicate. Would go from lane three, to off the motorway in one movement, picking a gap between cars!

Sounds crazy, but we had to pick a gap between two cars once past the 1/2 mile marker (always had a banker gap too) and then we were off! From 100mph+ to off the motorway in one movement.

We weren't told what junction we were coming off at until the mile marker.

I'm not a black rat, that's for sure lol

On my advanced course, we were taught the 'Derbyshire dive'. Whilst at warp speed in lane 3, the instructor would inform us, quite calmly, at the 300 yd marker, that we needed to exit. :eek: That was a real test of your reactions, observational skill....and bottle, all in one.

Of course, sometimes it just wasn't do-able, that was always the trainee's call - you just hoped that the instructor agreed with you! ;)

Pete

On my advanced course, we were taught the 'Derbyshire dive'. Whilst at warp speed in lane 3, the instructor would inform us, quite calmly, at the 300 yd marker, that we needed to exit. :eek: That was a real test of your reactions, observational skill....and bottle, all in one.

Of course, sometimes it just wasn't do-able, that was always the trainee's call - you just hoped that the instructor agreed with you! ;)

Pete

Not easy, especially when you're doing 120ish in an unmarked car!

No David, I was fast approaching the slow moving HGV. Middle lane driving is a MASSIVE pet hate of mine. I alway return to the inside lane when I can.

I am with you,the amount of trucks on our motorways,makes it nearly impossible to use the inside lane for many hours in the day,that and the difference in speed means that,you do seem to spend more time in the middle lane,it does get a little weird on the M25 where they have widened it,you get a strange thing happening you get trucks in the two inside lanes and so with 3 other lanes you are I suppose in the inside lane but driving down the middle one if you get my drift,most drivers I have seen have worked out that if you do run on the real inside lane you have not one truck to overtake but two because of the one in the next lane,and so the whole nature of driving on those sections has changed completely :wallbash:

Pete

I think you're all missing my point. This was a marked up X5 patrol car. With one man inside. Not on a training mission. Weaving across 3 lanes & and out again.

My point is, had he witnessed me doing the same I'm sure he'd have 'done' me for dangerous driving.

I'm in no doubt that they have to drive fast and aggressive in certain circumstances & training. But this obviously wasn't the case.

Ant.

Maybe he was miffed because he knew you'd been doing 95+ but didn't have time to get a proper fix on you. :D

It happens all the time ,they need to be behind you a standing mile before they can clock you ,last time I got pulled because I undertaken a car "audi" that was in the left Lane with no traffic whatsoever on the other lanes and having flashed him several times I decided to undertake,I looked at mirrors and spotted a bmw x5 doing the same I was doing around 85mph which I quickly droped to 75mph he followed me for a while and decided to pull me ,and he said you was driving like an ar$hole ,you was tailgating and undertaken a car and also you're doing 100mph+ I denied the speeding and tailgating as I flashed the other driver several times also said to the pig"policeman " that he have undertaken too and I had it on camera,he quickly told me to stick to the speed limit and disapeared!lol

It happens all the time ,they need to be behind you a standing mile before they can clock you ,last time I got pulled because I undertaken a car "audi" that was in the left Lane with no traffic whatsoever on the other lanes and having flashed him several times I decided to undertake,I looked at mirrors and spotted a bmw x5 doing the same I was doing around 85mph which I quickly droped to 75mph he followed me for a while and decided to pull me ,and he said you was driving like an ar$hole ,you was tailgating and undertaken a car and also you're doing 100mph+ I denied the speeding and tailgating as I flashed the other driver several times also said to the pig"policeman " that he have undertaken too and I had it on camera,he quickly told me to stick to the speed limit and disapeared!lol

Not sure why he'd quickly disappear when told he's on camera, as he's perfectly legit to follow you and undercut if necessary to keep up if this for a policing purpose :dk:

Edit - And also, as for needing to be behind you for a mile, that's untrue. Not even sure it's good practise for some counties, but there's definitely no legal reason behind it. (Just in case you spot a pig "policeman" and only speed for less than a mile)

Last edited:
Was it definitely a police officer driving?

Many, many civilians end up driving marked police cars and despite it being a requirement that the vehicle is shown to be 'not in service', many a civilian ego or 'think it's a laugh merchant' has been advised about playing at being a police driver in to what all intents and purposes appears to be a police vehicle in service.

The HGV was about fifty yards ahead in lane one- how far back was the last vehicle you passed in lane one? I only ask because with the closing speed between you and the police car being about 10mph, he/she will have been in a position to observe you for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom