Traffic Enforcement Officers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawkwind

Car
CLK 320
Hi Guys,

I was wondering does anyone know what, if any, powers they have, regarding speeding offences.

I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression they have no authority and find it quite annoying when drivers slam on the brakes and crawl past them at 65MPH.

Anyone know for sure, or am I asking for trouble, cruising past them at 80?

You are asking for trouble. They cannot charge you but they can (and do) report people to the Police.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Assume we are talking about motorways, I completely ignore them and cruise past at 80.
Saying that, I do the same with police cars.

Question

When driving on motorways, you see 4x4s marked as Traffic Officer as opposed to Police. Are these real policemen and can they fine you for speeding?
David, Central London
Answer

** Definitive **
Name: Emily, Walham Abbey
Qualification: I work for the Highways Agency
Answer: The Highways Agency Traffic Officers do not have powers to stop you for speeding. The one thing they have the power to do is to stop the traffic, due to accidents etc. If they ask you to stop and you don’t, you could get six points on your license.

I don't know for sure about the charges and fines but they sure put you in some troubles. I'm annoyed about it as much as you are.

Traffic officers are pussycats, you need to deal with VOSA ! I think that's who you mean they drive Ford Galaxies with Traffic Enforcement Officer on the back windows,they are a self funding government agency and deal with any type of commercial vehicle. They have the power to take your vehicle off the road and issue fines, a right royal pain but needed at times. They're not interested in cars though.

Well I think all experienced drivers who use the motorways a lot will know that when the police come down onto it to patrol at 68mph or do a rolling road exercise that it is one of the most dangerous times with cars all doing the same speed all lanes full and vehicles getting close to each other,so if one vehicle has a problem there is nowhere to go,I suspect many of us have noticed how driving on the motorways now has changed,take the M25 people are now doing 70 mph in the second or third lane leaving the overtaking lane empty because of the fear of cameras,it has upset the normal way of driving motorways by experienced drivers,where you left the inside lane for trucks and used the next lane until you came up against a slow car or a truck and so switched to the next lane to overtake,and on most of the M25 there was still another lane to get yourself past quickly potential problems you think might happen,when you read the road in front of you,thankfully now I do not do much motorway driving .

If they don't have blue lights they can't stop you. I've been a passenger in a car that has gone past a few of them doing more than than the speed limit and nothing happened.

Not that I condone breaking the speed limit, of course...

They are a nothing!
Just there to deal with traffic situations
ie broken down vehicles, accidents and clearing debris oh and closing lanes for the fun of it
I'm a driver and see it regular basis nothing but a pain in the ass!

They are often referred to as Wombles ...

in 2009 I was driving south on the M1 in the roadworks at Luton. These roadworks had been in place for some considerable time (1 year +). In the pitch black & rain I could see in the distance that an articulated truck had stopped in the live lane (there was only one lane at this point). All the traffic was naturally starting to stop as was I. A look in my mirror confirmed that the white vauxhall van behind me was also stopping. No drama's, we all stopped.

Within seconds I heard a horrific break & tyre screaming sound behind me. I my mirrors I could see a jackknifed articulated truck that was clearly not going to stop. Before I could gather my thoughts everything exploded. Air bags detonated, car was flung about - BOOM. When the smoke cleared I managed to open the door and step out.... into fresh air. I fell about four feet onto the tarmac. I then discovered that my BMW X5 was now sitting on top of the Vauxhall van, that had caught fire with the driver unconscious and trapped in his seat.

The Traffic Officers appeared from nowhere and along with myself and others we are able to pull the driver out. He was trapped by his feet. A lady traffic officer climbed into his burning van and cut his seatbelt and worked on his feet to get him free of the pedals, whilst her colleague found an extinguisher and sprayed it over the engine and front of the van.

Having got him out and being looked after by their colleagues they then turned to me to attend to my wounds (badly gashed forehead, dislocated shoulder and ankle). This officer then sat at the side of the road phoning my wife from my phone and holding my hand as we waited for an ambulance.

Next day she called me at home to ask after me and wish me well. My wife told me that she called her again that evening to check that she was OK and reassure her that I was fine.

The Polish van driver was severely burnt and spent months in hospital. I can still smell him burning and feel his skin coming off in my hands as we tried to drag him out of his seat through the window.

"They are a nothing" I don't really think so and neither does the driver who's life they saved.

Please lets try and just have some respect for people who put themselves at risk to help when our own lack of skills, stupidity etc puts them in danger.

Oh, the truck that stopped and started all the mayhem?

He had dropped his phone when attempting to throw a cigarette butt out of his window. He stopped in the live lane to walk back and look for his phone. He wasn't prosecuted as he could not be identified. This despite being on CCTV.

Last edited:
brucemillar said:
in 2009 I was driving south on the M1 in the roadworks at Luton. These roadworks had been in place for some considerable time (1 year +). In the pitch black & rain I could see in the distance that an articulated truck had stopped in the live lane (there was only one lane at this point). All the traffic was naturally starting to stop as was I. A look in my mirror confirmed that the white vauxhall van behind me was also stopping. No drama's, we all stopped. Within seconds I heard a horrific break & tyre screaming sound behind me. I my mirrors I could see a jackknifed articulated truck that was clearly not going to stop. Before I could gather my thoughts everything exploded. Air bags detonated, car was flung about - BOOM. When the smoke cleared I managed to open the door and step out.... into fresh air. I fell about four feet onto the tarmac. I then discovered that my BMW X5 was now sitting on top of the Vauxhall van, that had caught fire with the driver unconscious and trapped in his seat. The Traffic Officers appeared from nowhere and along with myself and others we are able to pull the driver out. He was trapped by his feet. A lady traffic officer climbed into his burning van and cut his seatbelt and worked on his feet to get him free of the pedals, whilst her colleague found an extinguisher and sprayed it over the engine and front of the van. Having got him out and being looked after by their colleagues they then turned to me to attend to my wounds (badly gashed forehead, dislocated shoulder and ankle). This officer then sat at the side of the road phoning my wife from my phone and holding my hand as we waited for an ambulance. Next day she called me at home to ask after me and wish me well. My wife told me that she called her again that evening to check that she was OK and reassure her that I was fine. The Polish van driver was severely burnt and spent months in hospital. I can still smell him burning and feel his skin coming off in my hands as we tried to drag him out of his seat through the window. "They are a nothing" I don't really think so and neither does the driver who's life they saved. Please lets try and just have some respect for people who put themselves at risk to help when our own lack of skills, stupidity etc puts them in danger. Oh, the truck that stopped and started all the mayhem? He had dropped his phone when attempting to throw a cigarette butt out of his window. He stopped in the live lane to walk back and look for his phone. He wasn't prosecuted as he could not be identified. This despite being on CCTV.
You have taken it out of context, the posts was talking about if they have any powers over motorists for speeding etc in which they don't! And as I said they are there to deal with traffic issues as you have confirmed in your story. What they did is what any person would do in that kinda situation

You have taken it out of context, the posts was talking about if they have any powers over motorists for speeding etc in which they don't! And as I said they are there to deal with traffic issues as you have confirmed in your story. What they did is what any person would do in that kinda situation

Strange that you think them a pain when you accept that they deal with breakdowns, accidents and debris but cannot stop you for speeding. I'm not so sure that 'any person would do that kinda thing - I think a lot of people would stay out of harms way and film the mayhem on their phone as I saw recently when a lorry overturned into the other carriageway on the M25.

Wayne

Context? The OP's question had already been answered by a "Traffic Officer" in post #4.

Your post read to me as sarcasm and a pop at people who are employed simply because the great British motoring public (you and I) find it almost impossible to get from A to B without the need to crash into each other or the scenery. Supply & Demand. If we stop crashing they don't have a job.

My post simply defends why I personally feel fairly strongly about their role. I don't believe that they close lanes for "the fun of it" but I have seen fellow motorists cause crashes that result in lane closures. Some of these crashes would lead one to believe that driving with others in the same direction at the same speed is a difficult thing to do.

Yes they do have power over motorists (if that is the correct phrase) in that they can and do report their sightings to the Police who can and do act on them. Driving past them at xx when the limit is yy could see them report you and your reg.

"The one thing they have the power to do is to stop the traffic, due to accidents etc. If they ask you to stop and you don’t, you could get six points on your license."

wivenhoe said:
Strange that you think them a pain when you accept that they deal with breakdowns, accidents and debris but cannot stop you for speeding. I'm not so sure that 'any person would do that kinda thing - I think a lot of people would stay out of harms way and film the mayhem on their phone as I saw recently when a lorry overturned into the other carriageway on the M25.
Yes are a pain when they feel the need to close 2 lanes on the m25 so a truck can have his tyre changed
Well I have to agree with you there it does happen but you can't tarnish all with the same brush
I for one would always help others in need given the situation

brucemillar said:
Wayne Context? The OP's question had already been answered by a "Traffic Officer" in post #4. Your post read to me as sarcasm and a pop at people who are employed simply because the great British motoring public (you and I) find it almost impossible to get from A to B without the need to crash into each other or the scenery. Supply & Demand. If we stop crashing they don't have a job. My post simply defends why I personally feel fairly strongly about their role. I don't believe that they close lanes for "the fun of it" but I have seen fellow motorists cause crashes that result in lane closures. Some of these crashes would lead one to believe that driving with others in the same direction at the same speed is a difficult thing to do. Yes they do have power over motorists (if that is the correct phrase) in that they can and do report their sightings to the Police who can and do act on them. Driving past them at xx when the limit is yy could see them report you and your reg. "The one thing they have the power to do is to stop the traffic, due to accidents etc. If they ask you to stop and you don’t, you could get six points on your license."
Yes I'm quite aware that it had but I was mearly adding my opinion like all others do on this site hence why so many posts go on and on from people adding their views.
My brother In law is in the police force in the traffic section (not that there is such thing now)and his and many of his colleagues views are the same.

Last edited:
I have no problem with them and think they probably do a good & worthwhile job.

The only thing I object to is their cars being intentionally marked to look very similar to Police vehicles. Most of us here can tell the difference but probably 75% of motorists can't based on the behaviour I see. There are plenty of other high-vis schemes that would do the job without making people slam on the brakes when they see one parked by the side of the road or cruising at 65 on the motorway. And what genuine and useful reason is there for writing "Traffic Officer" on them?

Yes are a pain when they feel the need to close 2 lanes on the m25 so a truck can have his tyre changed
Well I have to agree with you there it does happen but you can't tarnish all with the same brush

I doubt the traffic officers make up the rules and that there are risk assessments and procedures in place for such situations.

I doubt the traffic officers make up the rules and that there are risk assessments and procedures in place for such situations.

No they don't make the rules , but if you've ever stood on the hard shoulder of a busy motorway you would understand why they shut a lane to change a tyre. They get a hard time but they have a job to do and they are needed in a lot of cases and in my experience if you don't need them they go away and leave you alone.

Not as much pain as being on the receiving end of large, predominantly metal enema.

There are reasons they close one lane just as there are reasons they may close two lanes on occasion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom