traffic police shift - aka holding on to grab handle with sweaty palms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
I thought I’d post some ramblings on here about my shift with traffic police yesterday (1300-2300 shift). I’ll try and keep it informative but not too specific for obvious reasons.

Arrived at 1300, had a brief hello with the people I didn’t already know, and we had a quick look at cars available to take out. The PC that I was with had loads of paperwork to do, but put it off as I was with him, and he would catch up later. Most vehicles listed on the whiteboard were already out or off the road, due to being broken. There was a Range Rover or a Volvo T5 in the yard, alongside an unmarked BMW but that was due to have a hardware/software upgrade to the onboard computers so that was not an option (despite it being sat in the yard). The T5 was duly selected, an ’06 model, 75k miles and getting tired already. Colour very dark purple, almost black, fully marked up with blues etc. Apparently, slower than their previous T5s (on ‘05/’55 plates).

So, off we trot, and head to the A1M where we see a car towing a caravan, in a poor condition. It’s stopped, having different index on the ‘van to the car. Turns out the driver has no licence, no insurance, the ‘van isn’t in a great condition (non-working rear lights, made-up number-plate, no break-away cable etc). Both car and ‘van seized due to no insurance, and it’s removed to a pound for collection upon payment of fines. Driver reported for various offences too. Various upset and aggression directed at the PCs for doing nothing better with their work by family members who turned up as if by magic (does that give a clue as to the type of person who was stopped?!). Quite shocking really.

Then we head to the A47 and sit up out of sight, and immediately spot a van driver using their mobile phone. Pursuit engaged, van driver decides he can outrun the T5, decides after a few moments he can’t, he’s stopped. Pleads for a warning. Quite pathetic to watch really. £60 FPN and 3-points awarded, driver changes his tone, becomes really aggressive. Sent on his way, flea in ear. We head back to same spot, park up, BMW 3-series goes by, woman using phone. Set off after her, she is stopped, didn’t want to use her hands-free as her convertible was too noisy, so accepts the £60 FPN and 3-points rather reluctantly, and enquires why the PCs haven’t better things to do. Common feedback apparently.

Get call to attend a DIC (drunk in charge, I think) back in Peterborough, so it’s blues & twos all the way, amazing to see how many don’t see the T5 approaching, pulling out on it, speeds reached on attendance high-ish but nothing amazing, and we arrive to find a Sierra stoved into rear of a Citroen, side of road. Keeper lives a few doors away. PCs head in, and in a nutshell he is arrested, blows over 100 on the breathalyser. Witness details gathered, and van called for the DIC. Sierra driver was going to visit supermarket (all of 100 meters away and decides to drive there, but can’t get out of his parked spot without crashing). Head into station, he is booked in, prints and DNA taken, he blows another 102/100 and is sent to the cells, to wait for interview, this has now taken 2 hours of processing before heading back out. Much more paperwork to do later.

Grab sandwich, and bottle of water. Head out to car, see it’s picked up a nail in rear tyre. PC has to change it, leave damaged one for repair/replacement. One PC gets witness on phone, so we drop off for a statement re: the DIC, while me and other PC get the tyre changed and re-fuel. Collect the other PC and head off to a call for assistance for another non-insured driver, in a Mercedes no less. Turns out he has missed a monthly insurance payment and he gets it sorted – Traffic accept details presented and revoke impending seizure, and he’s on his way in his car with a FPN only, happy he has his motor.

It’s getting dark now, head to A1M for use of laser for speeders (it’s an area priority) and we park up on an overbridge/roundabout junction, side on, reflective battenburgs on view, on lit motorway, car lights on. Pretty conspicuous I think. Not there long, when 114mph is flagged up on the laser, it’s another Volvo! So we wait for it to pass and then dismount from position and head off in pursuit, attain 140mph to catch up and sit behind it for a mile or so at 115/120mph about ¼ mile behind. See enough, blues on and he’s pulled over. 23 year old male, girlfriend’s car. No insurance. Polish driving licence to be produced, and he is reported for various offences (plus other ‘things’ that I wasn’t allowed to know ;)) Car is seized. He has to arrange friend to collect him from service road adjacent to the motorway.

PCs get call from Sarge, can they do 2-3 hours overtime, as so short-staffed. I am offered to join them further but I decline as I am tired :D

Observations: relentless work; much aggression directed at them; people lie a lot; paperwork is horrendous; no tea or coffee consumed; lunch comprised 15 mins whilst doing paperwork, munching on a sandwich; doughnuts were available in the station and we all grabbed one before heading out; these guys drive supremely :rock:

Sorry for long post (I haven't listed everything, it would take too long!), just wanted to share it

Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to type it up!

The Police would be alot more effective if there namby pamby paperwork was reduced! maybe the PCSO's could do it! ;)

a car towing a caravan, in a poor condition. It’s stopped, having different index on the ‘van to the car. Turns out the driver has no licence, no insurance, the ‘van isn’t in a great condition (non-working rear lights, made-up number-plate, no break-away cable etc). Both car and ‘van seized due to no insurance, and it’s removed to a pound for collection upon payment of fines. Driver reported for various offences too.

a van driver using their mobile phone. Pursuit engaged, van driver decides he can outrun the T5, decides after a few moments he can’t, he’s stopped. Pleads for a warning. Quite pathetic to watch really. £60 FPN and 3-points awarded, driver changes his tone, becomes really aggressive.

woman using phone. Set off after her, she is stopped, didn’t want to use her hands-free as her convertible was too noisy, so accepts the £60 FPN and 3-points rather reluctantly, and enquires why the PCs haven’t better things to do.

he is booked in, prints and DNA taken, he blows another 102/100 and is sent to the cells, to wait for interview

sit behind it for a mile or so at 115/120mph about ¼ mile behind. See enough, blues on and he’s pulled over. 23 year old male, girlfriend’s car. No insurance. Polish driving licence to be produced, and he is reported for various offences (plus other ‘things’ that I wasn’t allowed to know ;)) Car is seized. He has to arrange friend to collect him from service road adjacent to the motorway.

That's another 5 "bad cop" threads on various Internet forums then. "How rude they were", "didn't have his cap on", ... :crazy:

Seriously, many thanks for this elucidating report, Robert.

Robert,

Sorry for stupid question but what is your job? I've always wanted to go out for a day with traffic cops!

Cheers
Chris

, and enquires why the PCs haven’t better things to do. Common feedback apparently.

I do wonder why people say such things. It seems to be such a cliché these days. I'm sure if a more serious offence was being committed in sight of the officer at the same time, then he would have not bothered her. She broke the law we all know about by now and needed to accept that simple fact

Robert,

Sorry for stupid question but what is your job? I've always wanted to go out for a day with traffic cops!

Cheers
Chris

Parking services manager
sssssssssssssshhhhhhhh!! For P'boro city council.

We work closely (multi-agency stuff) and there are work connections (mainly ANPR-based) so that's how it's engineered (never mention the word "fun") and in all seriousness is fairly hard to organise without good reason. Millions of forms I have to fill in too, liability issues, evidence, secrecy*, even assisting the PC(s) should they get into trouble (although that one wasn't clearly defined!)

*Ha!

The Police would be alot more effective if there namby pamby paperwork was reduced! maybe the PCSO's could do it! ;)

Oh - I don't think so. The PCSO's would surely need training in biro-handling procedures, then there's the inevitable risk assessments - paper cuts can be really vicious!

:devil:

Sounds like quite a day out, will we be seeing you in a future edition of 'police, camera, action'?

But we all know the real highlight of your day

Grab sandwich, and bottle of water.

What did you go for, Tuna Mayo on rye? Chicken ceasar wrap? :D

You'll be pleased to note I maintained some weight by choosing a 555 calorie, 13g sat fats ham & cheese thing from Tesco! Plus a dairy milk :cool: (I wanted a Yorkie bar, but the PCs said only truckers eat those)

robert.saunders said:
bla bla bla visit supermarket bla bla bla sandwich bla bla bla re-fuel bla bla bla impending seizure bla bla bla battenburgs bla bla bla I am tired bla bla bla tea bla bla bla coffee bla bla bla lunch bla bla bla sandwich bla bla bla doughnuts

Wait until Scumbag sees this post! :devil: ;)

Edit: Frank beat me to it!

I'm really not sure about the mobile phone thing - was the Policeman always "hands-free", and not playing with the computer etc?

I am astonished by people texting while driving though - sat next to a young girl on the motorway a while ago who was texting away. Beeped her and my daughter in the passenger seat wagged her finger (she's a teacher and does a good finger wagging!).

I'm really not sure about the mobile phone thing - was the Policeman always "hands-free", and not playing with the computer etc?

I am astonished by people texting while driving though - sat next to a young girl on the motorway a while ago who was texting away. Beeped her and my daughter in the passenger seat wagged her finger (she's a teacher and does a good finger wagging!).

Yup, the driver was hands-free, in this shift at least! The passenger PC did all the radio and phone work (including lights activation too - the sirens are switched on via the control panel but activated and alternated between types by pressing the horn on the steering wheel). I would add, the ANPR and on-board computer in this particular T5 was broken.

I asked about texting drivers funnily enough; they take that really seriously, your basic FPN is the least of your worry I think

Various upset and aggression directed at the PCs for doing nothing better with their work by family members who turned up as if by magic (does that give a clue as to the type of person who was stopped?!).
Are you talking about some forum members here.?

I got a ride in the armed response unit van one, was great fun, went up one-way streets as well (at my suggestion)

Why do have to get a second hand view from Robert when we can get first hand view from pammy, unmarked or plodd? :D

Are they too lazy to type?:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom