Traffic signs in Britain - biggest review in 40 years launch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimti

Car
VW Golf
Traffic signs in Britain - biggest review in 40 years launched today

Transport Minister Rosie Winterton today called on motorists, cyclists, pedestrians, highway authorities and road organisations who are keen to have a say in how our streets will look in the future, to take part in the biggest review of British road signs for 40 years.

The review will ensure that traffic signs keep pace with the latest technology, help to cut congestion and emissions and keep traffic moving safely and efficiently without cluttering our streets.

The review's aims include:

* To consider new powers to reduce street clutter - and ensure out of date signs are removed;

* Look at using new traffic sign technologies that can provide new ways of managing traffic flow;

* Provide better road information - such as up-to-date travel news - to give motorists informed choices about their journeys;

* Demonstrate how effective signing can provide safer roads and reduce accidents;

* Improve road users' understanding of traffic signs and signals.

Rosie Winterton said:

"Road conditions have changed dramatically over the years - and road signs need to keep pace with that change to provide the best information possible to all road users.

"It is vital we help motorists, cyclists and pedestrians understand how to use our roads - improving road safety and helping reduce congestion and CO2 - without cluttering our streets with unnecessary signs."

Road users, highway authorities and organisations interested in streetscape will play a key role in the steering group leading the review.

AA President Edmund King said:

"Clear, concise, relevant road signs help reduce congestion, CO2, frustration and accidents. Confusing signs do the opposite so we welcome a root and branch review of the UK's traffic signing system and will seek the views of AA members to help the Department for Transport come up with signs fit for the 21 Century."

Source: Dept of Transport

And about time too, maybe they will get rid if the clutter we find on most of our roads nowerdays

I believe this is the worst slip road in the UK for signs :crazy:

signs-kent-news-vlfi781.jpg

The A2 junction for Bridge and Adisham is one of the worst in Britain but it was beaten by the B3006 in Hampshire which has a staggering 335 signs in one seven-mile stretch.

signsPA110906_228x283.jpg

I hope the review sorts this sort of problem out, the councils are the biggest problem as they are the ones who put up most of the useless signs that clutter our highways,
But another big distraction for drivers is speed cameras because of the way drivers behave around them, better signage is the best solution to this, and dare I say it more police on the roads

not before time we lag miles behind the rest of Europe in roadsign clarity and technology, lets hope they get it right

... the councils are the biggest problem as they are the ones who put up most of the useless signs that clutter our highways...

Put up because of the legal requirement to do so - the legislative crazy government are the biggest problem.

At present all signage has to conform to a DfT manual known as TSR&GD or Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions, thus ensuring our signs have common links with those used on the continent. I can't see how we in the GB will be able to change international regulations.
Dave

Aww..Dave. You've ruined a perfectly good whinge thread now..

Aww..Dave. You've ruined a perfectly good whinge thread now..

If I hadn't I'm sure that Robert Saunders would have stated the same( bless him).

You'll most likely hate me for this but part of my job is to replace damaged, vandalised, or incorrect highway signage.

Guess that my last statement will earn me a lifetime ban:eek: :eek: :eek:

dave

You'll most likely hate me for this but part of my job is to replace damaged, vandalised, or incorrect highway signage.

Guess that my last statement will earn me a lifetime ban:eek: :eek: :eek:

dave

Yup BAN coming up.:rolleyes: :D

Someone has to do this very necessary job.:rock:

First off it would be a great help if all road users (That's from the drivers of the largest vehicles down to pedestrians) would obey the present signs.

The biggest problem is not what the signs look like, it's where they are placed, how many others are around them, the relevance or need of the signs, and the amount of confusion they can cause, look at the two pictures I have posted and tell me that they would not cause confusion to someone when they first arrive at these junctions.

I would hope the review will include temporary signage like roadworks etc, where there is daytime roadworks and signs are left out even though the roadworks are cleared over night for example should have rules to have them removed. Placement of the signs should also be considered remembering that not all road users sit at the same height.

Yellow advance warning signs with more that about 5 words on them are a watse of time 1) because they are distracting making you try to dijest too much information in one go and 2) because you're past them before you've read more than half the message.

Town and village exit signs should also go, if you can't work out you've just left somewhere, should you really be driving and as for the "Thank You for driving Safely" message that just drips with irony, and what about Removal of 'new road layout ahead' signs 3 months after the new road layout and not 3 years, that would help too.

We just have too many signs out there that only make driving less easy instead of helping us

I dare say will they find a way to disadvantage the motorist with this in some way, the mention of 'CO2' is a dead giveaway.

Whenever they mention 'CO2', it usually means they are about to attack the motorist in some way. It's what they (the Labour party) do best, I wouldn't trust them an inch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom