TrafficLine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got mine last night. Aside from a box that looked like it was the football in the sorting office's lunchtime kickaround, it works like a charm.

Took Brians superb idea and mounted it in the centre of the windscreen behind the mirror. What a fab bit of kit! It already warned me off the M42 this morning about half a mile away from it, so I took an alternative route - marvellous.

Thanks to all - at that price every home should have one.

Originally posted by GregE240
Got mine last night. Aside from a box that looked like it was the football in the sorting office's lunchtime kickaround, it works like a charm.
Same here, the box looked like Ace Ventura had delivered it but otherwise it's great :D

Several months on, what are your opinions on the Trafficmaster Freeway? Anybody know a cheap source for the YQ2?

malc_n said:
Does anyone know whats happening with TMC in the UK. I heard rumours that Classic FM where going to broadcast this ? I've ordered a couple of the TrafficLine units anyway, you cant really lose at a fiver !!
Cheers

Malc

Hi Malc,
I have a Pioneer DVD Navigation system fitted in my 'stretched limo' which is more commonly known as a Sprinter.

It has TMC and it automatically tunes into Classic FM, you certainly do not have to listen to this station as the system has a dedicated tuner.

I hope this answers you query, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
John

jimmy said:
Several months on, what are your opinions on the Trafficmaster Freeway? Anybody know a cheap source for the YQ2?

One of my truck driving mates gets these from his mate who works for TM.
I paid £180 for a brand new unit (in the box) and it had been chipped up for 3 yrs.(Worth £330 on its' own)
Only thing you can't do, is get the daily news reports and weather any more as this is now a seperate fee.

Last edited:
jimmy said:

Bought two Trafficmaster Freeways from a guy on E Bay as Xmas presents for £39.99 including £30 licence for a year.

Trafficmaster Freeway

They are excellent and I would HIGHLY Recommend them. :bannana: :bannana:

Last edited:
Brian WH said:
Bought two Trafficmaster Freeways from a guy on E Bay as Xmas presents for £39.99 including £30 licence for a year.

Trafficmaster Freeway

They are excellent and I would HIGHLY Recommend them. :bannana: :bannana:

I bought one off that bloke late last night, he delivered it in person this morning, hows that for service? :)

The unit seems to be good, at that price you cant complain.

I prefer the YQ2 as you can actually see maps on it as opposed to just hearing about delays.
I can 'zoom' round the whole country in less than a minute. :devil:

GRAV888 said:
I prefer the YQ2 as you can actually see maps on it as opposed to just hearing about delays.
I can 'zoom' round the whole country in less than a minute. :devil:

I can see the advantage of the YQ2 but cannot justify the costs???

Trafficmaster Freeway = £40 + £30 per year :rock:

Trafficmaster YQ2 = £190 + £110 per year. :eek:

Brian WH said:
I can see the advantage of the YQ2 but cannot justify the costs???

Trafficmaster YQ2 = £190 + £110 per year. :eek:

Yeah, if you bought it from a shop, but (as in my post above), I can get them for £180 with a 3 yr key in brand new :D

IIRC, I did post about this ages and ages ago somewhere on here..
Found it. It is post 23 of this thread.
The price then was £150, but hey, everything is subject to inflation :eek: :crazy:

Last edited:
Hmm that sounds good, will see how I get on with the Freeway first.

I prefer the freeway as you can hide the unit, mine's in the centre console. I think the YQ2 unit looks pretty ugly stuck on the dash.

The outlay for a TMC navigation system might be more expensive but there are no yearly costs. Are these gadgets you are all discussing better than TMC?

Thanks for any advice,
John

I get what you are saying John, I have a TMC enabled SAT NAV unit but from what I hear TMC coverage is a bit sketchy and I would need a new DX Disc from Teleatlas, I decided to put that money towards a TomTom Go that the whole family and friends can borrow.

For £39 the Freeway is great value, I had it in the car on the way home and got my first alert within a couple of miles of leaving work, luckily the slow traffic was just off my route, I am sure it will save me a few hours a year in not getting stuck in traffic, some mornings the A14 can come to a sudden halt with no warning, hopefully this will give me adequate warning so I can find a different route.

I just hope it works under the dashboard, dont want anything else stuck where it can be seen.

jimmy said:
I get what you are saying John, I have a TMC enabled SAT NAV unit but from what I hear TMC coverage is a bit sketchy and I would need a new DX Disc from Teleatlas, .

Hi Jimmy,
I am no expert, but if your radio can receive 'Classic FM' then your SAT NAV TMC will work. When we had our system upgraded it showed it was locked onto Classic FM and informed me of delays on the A38 at Chudleigh.

Yesterday I checked the system and it would not 'lock' onto Classic FM, so I naturally! assumed the system was not working. I contacted the installation company and booked an appointment for the wife to take the vehicle in to be checked. :rolleyes:

Poor old wife took the van into town, only to be told that there was nothing wrong!! The set will only lock on when a TMC report is being broadcast. No broadcast, no signal. Any traffic jam, or delay on either a major road or motorway over 0.5miles in length will be registered. 1km if abroad. The navigation system will still work, but no TMC signal unless there is a delay.

So regarding reliability?? I have no idea, the Pioneer dealership states they are excellent, but they would, wouldn't they?

Also having a Navigation System that takes into account road works, or delays will surely pay for itself in a very short time. Taking into account lost time and also excessive driver hours?

Regards,
John

I haven't used TMC so I cannot comment on how they compare, but do you know where TMC obtains the data on traffic delays? The information from TrafficMaster, which uses the blue boxes you see at the side of A roads or on the bridges of motorways, is very accurate. I've been using it since it came fitted as standard in a Vectra I had over 6 years ago

RichardM said:
I haven't used TMC so I cannot comment on how they compare, but do you know where TMC obtains the data on traffic delays? The information from TrafficMaster, which uses the blue boxes you see at the side of A roads or on the bridges of motorways, is very accurate. I've been using it since it came fitted as standard in a Vectra I had over 6 years ago

Hi Richard,
I stand to be corrected on this but try this link:

http://www.itisholdings.co.uk/

**ITIS traffic information combines incident data and Floating Vehicle Data (FVD), which is then broadcast to compatible satellite navigation systems using national bandwidth via Classic FM, which is licensed exclusively by Ofcom to ITIS until 2012. Manufacturers who have standardised TMC are Bentley, BMW, Ford, Land Rover, Lexus, Mini, Nissan, Porsche, Renault, Saab, Subaru, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen and Volvo **

It is also the company that Mercedes-Benz have negotiated a contract with for our DVD COMAND systems.

John

Last edited:
Just an update.

I can really say that the Freeway is brilliant!! This week 2 morning and 2 evenings it has warned me of slow traffic, I took a different route and saved myself the agro of being stuck in traffic and saved soem time too. Got to be well worth the £40.

Ordered my Freeway to replace my trafficmaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom