Tragic death in Mercedes Benz accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Upon seeing the pictures posted of the car in which this young man tragically died I can't help but notice despite falling off a 70ft cliff and being quite badly damaged not one of the airbags deployed , I also notice that both front seatbelts are buckled up - I know people who do this then sit on the seatbelt , I am not suggesting the couple in the car did this as someone might have buckled them after the fact - It's just the lack of airbag deployment that puzzles me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the did not deploy ?

RIP Jake McLean

It looks like it wasn't a frontal, but side impact.
B pillar bags may have deployed and are hidden by seat.
A pillar and roof crumple does back that up and suggests a sideways roll down a slope, but not multiple time. Perhaps a sudden sto mid roll?
Front bags only deploy under a strict scenario.

Seat belt being done up can be due to the police or accident investigation (or insurance) people checking they did work and were not a factor that may put liability onto the maintenance of the car. They are most likely to have been wearing them ,surely

Odd that some one (sadly) did not survive an impact in today's huge safety cell when the cell is pretty much intact
In view of that, no comment on the crash itself

Seat belt being done up can be due to the police or accident investigation (or insurance) people checking they did work and were not a factor that may put liability onto the maintenance of the car. They are most likely to have been wearing them ,surely...

Not too sure about that , I would not like to comment too much on this particular incident but I personally know a number of people who do this with their seatbelts when driving . Why do they do it ? I have no idea 🤷‍♂️ . But each one of them are middle aged and should know better. One of them bought a buckle on Ebay so he could drive around not wearing his seatbelt. :doh:

I have sen a different picture and it seems like the side curtain airbags did deploy, so my apologies for any confusion

Seat belt being done up can be due to the police or accident investigation (or insurance) people checking they did work and were not a factor that may put liability onto the maintenance of the car. They are most likely to have been wearing them ,surely...

Not too sure about that , I would not like to comment too much on this particular incident but I personally know a number of people who do this with their seatbelts when driving . Why do they do it ? I have no idea 🤷‍♂️ . But each one of them are middle aged and should know better. One of them bought a buckle on Ebay so he could drive around not wearing his seatbelt. :doh:

I have sen a different picture and it seems like the side curtain airbags did deploy, so my apologies for any confusion
The Greeks love a seatbelt buckle.

She was lucky her pumped up lips didn’t explode o_O

She was lucky her pumped up lips didn’t explode o_O

It wasn't only her lips being inflated. :thumb:
She's a floater if she ends up in troubled water.

Had the couple been drinking at the bar?
Bad judgement?
Alcohol drinks and driving is a big no no!

Last edited:
“We were just tumbling for what seemed like forever. It felt like I was going round in a washing machine — just round and round.

It looks as if it rolled down a 70 foot slope.

When I was talking to a recovery driver recently about wearing seatbelts amongst other things (it was a long journey and he was quite happy to talk for whole way !) You know when you pull the belt really hard and it stops, after an accident they can tell if someone was wearing it rather than just clicked in place because where it would have stopped it should be a big enough area for a person to have been sitting behind it at the time.

Do seatbelt pre-tensioners fire if the belts aren't being worn??

It's certainly an American thing for large people (large of torso and/or chest) to sit on their buckled seatbelts.

They claim it's about comfort and that the airbags "will save them."

And just 25 years ago a princess died because she wasn't wearing a belt and crashed into the bloke sat in front of her. Had she been wearing a belt, she'd still be here today.

I'm not up to date on these things, but wouldn't be surprised if that had happened here

It's certainly an American thing for large people (large of torso and/or chest) to sit on their buckled seatbelts.

And just 25 years ago a princess died because she wasn't wearing a belt and crashed into the bloke sat in front of her. Had she been wearing a belt, she'd still be here today.

I'm not up to date on these things, but wouldn't be surprised if that had happened here
I’ll bet they never had belts on.

I’ll bet they never had belts on.
You do get some helmets that say things such as

I had an accident once and they reckon if i had my belt on i would of died.

Or i read on the internet that they cause more deaths than they prevent.

Nonesense like that.

Plus to a very small minority it looks cool AF not wearing a belt 🙄

A policeman once said to me “the seatbelt is to prevent your twitching corpse from flying out of the car and injuring some innocent passer-by”. I’ll never forget that!

Also rear seat passengers who don’t wear a seat tend to break the necks of the front seat occupants when they pass overhead with a frontal impact .

The first problem you have with not wearing a seatbelt is head butting the windscreen and giving yourself brain damage or a broken neck .

I think with the Diana accident they hit a concrete underpass support at shocking speed . The deceleration would have allowed the human heart to detach inside your chest with or without a belt …probably ??

I think with the Diana accident they hit a concrete underpass support at shocking speed . The deceleration would have allowed the human heart to detach inside your chest with or without a belt …probably ??
Ruptured aorta. 30mph-0 in less than two feet will do it iirc

Her bodyguard survived. He was the only one wearing a belt as far as I recall, although in an accident like that a huge amount is down to luck

Don’t forget, there’s a surprising amount of stretch in a seatbelt. It’s a controlled deceleration compared to continuing on and impacting the dash, the windscreen or anything else solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom