Trailer Lights Not Working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoWales86

Car
ML350
Hi All,

Got a bit of a random one here. Ive had my ML350 for 3years and have regularly used it for towing horses. Ive never had an issue and the lights have always worked on what ever trailer hitched up (always Ifor Williams though) but the yard im on now has a different trailer (same model/type/age as before) but the trailer lights will not work when connected to the ML.

The only thing that has been done different is the break away cable has been wrapped around the tow bar and not connected to the metal loop attached to the tow bar (i dont know if this makes any difference)

Also ive left it running and fiddled with my indicators and its come up with a message with a light build saying Left Trailer Indicator or Right Trailer Indicator depending on which side i am indicating on.

Now, i have taken my car to a local garage and they plugged 3 different trailers in (they were flat beds but still IW trailers) and the trailer lights worked perfectly on each one with no issues or messages on the dash.

Now, ive plugged the trailer in to a 2006 Disco and a 2017 L200 and the trailer lights have worked perfectly on both of them.

Does anyone have any ideas as i really do not know what the issue is as the trailer works and the jeep works just not together.

Thank you in advance :)

Try a squirt of WD40 onto the plug, assuming its a 7 pin, maybe a bit of corrosion. Had similar problems with my caravan electrics a few years back.

Try a squirt of WD40 onto the plug, assuming its a 7 pin, maybe a bit of corrosion. Had similar problems with my caravan electrics a few years back.
Thank you :) shall give it a go.

It is strange as plugged into my friends trailer and worked straight away.

You will need an adapter to fit in the plug of the trailer and the other end in to your car .
I have an adapter as have been using trailers for 3 years. It is the same model and type as before but this one is not working with the trailer lights.

i can plug it into another trailer and it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom