Train Guard Found Guilty Over Girl's Death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a bit of a difference between being stoned out your box and being elderly?

But no difference in leaning against a train.

I am not elderly but do have a dodgy heel (result of RTA) which sometimes causes me to lose my balance. If it happened (it happens without warning) when I was stood next to a train, I'd lean against the train for support.

Not elderly, not drunk, not stoned - but yet the guard would give the go-ahead for the train to leave.
So, what is the guard there to guard against if not people impeding the train's ability to depart without causing danger to anyone in the vicinity?

What if she had a fake ID (which a lot of young 'uns have) would he still be to blame. Why not blame the Police for not arresting her for being drunk, which is an offence. The list goes on and on but eventually people have top take responsibility for their own actions.

A lot of the problems with kids and drink is that they aren't prepared or allowed to get an aquired taste for alchohol. I suppose we all screwed our faces up when we were young at the first swig of beer but you eventually learn to like it however these days they manufacture sweet pop laced with alchohol so the kids drink as much as they like. Ban the alchopops, take them to a pub and give them a few bottles of Brown ale with a few whisky chasers and that'll put them off drink for a while

You are eliding two unrelated issues. It is an offence to supply drink to someone who is drunk, period. The matter of her age is merely an additional factor.

I would not like to guess the age of a made up teenage girl, 16? or18? and I have every sympathy with those who have to.

I also agree about the selling of strong alcohol disguised by sweet fruit flavours and the whole culture of "getting off your face" as an end in itself, however I don't think we can ever put the genie back in the bottle. The publicity surrounding drunken celebrities falling out of clubs doesn't help either.

However none of this addresses the matter in hand.

I am not elderly but do have a dodgy heel (result of RTA) which sometimes causes me to lose my balance. If it happened (it happens without warning) when I was stood next to a train, I'd lean against the train for support.

Not elderly, not drunk, not stoned - but yet the guard would give the go-ahead for the train to leave.
So, what is the guard there to guard against if not people impeding the train's ability to depart without causing danger to anyone in the vicinity?

You don't know that. You can't make things up to try and justify your point

But if he added" "apparently" would give..." then this guard would have on the evidence in court that 12 ordinary citizens accepted,then you would be the one making things up. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck....

It's just been proven that he allowed the train to leave with someone leaning against it.
Unless you are suggesting he would have behaved differently if it had been me (which would involve some form of discrimination against the girl) then I can safely say the result would have been the same and a ghost would be typing this.
Show me how I would have survived and her not in the same circumstance. I'm sure her family would love to know that a bloke with a dodgy heel is treated better than a 16 year old girl.

It's just been proven that he allowed the train to leave with someone leaning against it.
Unless you are suggesting he would have behaved differently if it had been me (which would involve some form of discrimination against the girl) then I can safely say the result would have been the same and a ghost would be typing this.
Show me how I would have survived and her not in the same circumstance. I'm sure her family would love to know that a bloke with a dodgy heel is treated better than a 16 year old girl.

It's been proven he's done it once although your suggesting that he does it all the time, perhaps he spent his entire working life waiting for that one moment that he can signal the train to leave knowing someone was leaning against it!

As I've said umteen times I'm not saying he was right I'm saying people have to take some responsibility for their actions. In your case if you have a dodgy heel that can give way at any unpredictable moment then you should use a walking stick to prevent you falling over

Nothing tragic about it.

Children are allowed to go out to get drunk and drugged up, and hapless other people are blamed for the parent's and the child's own shortcomings.

Only tragic thing is that man going about his job is in jail because of a stupid drunk girl.

If she had been 18 would it have been tragic?

The point that may be is missed here, is this.

The guard admits that he saw her leaning against the train, He states that he "thought" that she was going to move away from the train. He admits that he no idea whether she was drunk, ill, drugged or perfectly normal.

But.. He still released the train without guarding it or it's passsengers or those on the platform.

Nobody testified (including the guard) that she was falling about, staggering acting foolishly etc. What was said is that she got off at the wrong stop and attempted to re-board.

In other words. No guard same result. So on the comments of some on here. Lets not have any guards just in-case they are ever called upon to do some guarding.

His title is the big clue here folks. Either he is a guard or he is not. He was and he didn't. Would you be happier if he said in his defense.

I am a guard but not for people who I have no idea what condition they are in.

What an incredibly strange bunch some of you are. Your kids must have a bundle of laughs as you chaperone them on their nights out regaling them of tales of your abstinence and no risk youth. Never wore flares in case they got caught up on something. Didn't smoke in case my head caught light. Don't have a drink you might up dead under a train.

Get real folks. A young girl lost he life because somebody who was paid to guard did not guard.

It's been proven he's done it once although your suggesting that he does it all the time, perhaps he spent his entire working life waiting for that one moment that he can signal the train to leave knowing someone was leaning against it!

Perhaps perhaps perhaps, but he has been proven to be incompetent and can no longer be trusted. Once is enough to demonstrate incompetence and only a fool would trust him again. If your latter supposition had any truth it would have required a charge heavier than manslaughter, premeditated as you suggest.

In your case if you have a dodgy heel that can give way at any unpredictable moment then you should use a walking stick to prevent you falling over

Is that an offer from you that you will accompany me in my travels carrying all that I have to carry while I walk with a stick? Or perhaps I should - rather than make the best of it, tell my doctor, get signed off work forever and live on benefits instead.
Meanwhile, back in the real world....

Is that an offer from you that you will accompany me in my travels carrying all that I have to carry while I walk with a stick? Or perhaps I should - rather than make the best of it, tell my doctor, get signed off work forever and live on benefits instead.
Meanwhile, back in the real world....

So you are taking responsibility for your own actions, that's all I was trying to say in the first place.

If you are in God's country and need anything carrying than I'm your man genuinely no problem Bellow

So you are taking responsibility for your own actions, that's all I was trying to say in the first place.

Not really. I'm taking my chances and trust that those who are paid to make the environment I'm in as safe as it can be do just that.

If you are in God's country and need anything carrying than I'm your man genuinely no problem Bellow

Thankyou.

I think that both arguments are valid. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The guard's duty was to prevent passengers form coming into harm, and he clearly failed in performing this duty.

Yet the argument that had the girl not been striking and taking drugs she would have very likely still be alive today is also valid.

However the former is a criminal offense, for which a person has been convicted, the latter is just plain carelessness for which someone else paid the ultimate price.

The message to our kids is: stay safe! If someone else goes to prison for your death is will not help you.

It is also worth noting.

If this was an "unguarded" station we would not have heard of this.

Fact is that it was deemed necessary to make this a guarded station. Why?

Presumably because there was a risk factor.

To then have that guard admit he saw the risk and ignored it!!

Work it out

Are we not applying double standards here? If someone was found by the police together with their car keys in an intoxicated state in close proximity/leaning against their car [ a mechanically propelled vehicle designed for the carrying of passengers- but also capable of causing death or severe injury under certain circumstances] and found to have 236mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood in their system - (the legal driving limit is 80mg.) and the drug mephedrone in their system Mephedrone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia what would happen to them and more importantly why? Remember at this point in time they have not driven the car or actually been involved in an accident .

He killed that girl.

I imagine a smirk on his face as he releases the train hoping she will slightly injure herself because he doesn't like drunk girls. They are an inconvenience. Annoying, a bit gobby and stupid.

I expect he will be sentenced to less than five years. Fifteen would be better but I have no real hope of people being held properly to account with our justice system.

Poor kid, poor family.

He was given 5 years yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom