Tramlining Wheels on C Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

n3thn

A friend of mine has bought a set of 18" AMG replicas with new tyres (not sure of size) and the car now tramlines and pulls with every bump and divot on the road, does anyone have any idea why this is, the car is a 1999 C220 cdi classic (i think). He has now taken the wheels off and is selling them, he only bought them last week.

Thanks Jon

PS Will find out how much he wants for them if anyone is interested.

My Benz does that as well...its not too bad, however get in the groove in lane 1 on the MWay and its a tad exciting..
I can put up with it as I think the rims make my car and I do 30k a year....

Nathan
My car does that too. I have 18inch wheels and 235 tyres. It can
be quite scary.
Just get used to it after a while and plant 2 hands on the steering wheel.

Cheers
Ian

N3thn,

when i put 18`s on mine it did that too, but when i changed the front tyres from 235/40/18 to 225/40/18 the tram lining dissapeared!

could have been change of tyre brand too, i changed from dunlop sports to goodyears

Guys, thanks for the replys, will pass info on to my mate.

Cheers Jon

You need to check the web site to find the correct tyres for these wheels. It's http://www.mercedes-benz.com/amg/e/fitting
It's also good to stick to the wheel width combinations recommended by the experts. They usually have a good reason for making wheels narrower at the front than the back, though some people seem to buy 4 of the same.

I think you need 225/40s on the front and 255s on the back to minimise this problem. I bought my SLK with the standard 16" wheels because I'd read that the 17" wheels tended to tramline more. It's just a pity that they look so weedy. I wonder where this fashion of bigger and bigger wheels will end - they sure as hell don't make the car better to drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom