tranny fluid hose routing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inetd

98 S500, appears to have a fluid line/hose coming from the trans drain plug, runs up into the grill area. Haven't located the trans fluid radiator yet - if there is one somewhere.

Assuming this IS a tranny cooler line?

This line bolts down to frame here and there along its length. One is a loop bracket that screws into the engine oil pan. And it's stripped - it was just hanging there! The threads are stripped in what appears to be the aluminum bottom of the block. Ok, sorry for rambling, here's my point:

This trans fluid line runs at probably the lowest point on the bottom of the car. Was there some protection for this line built into the design that I missed? I'd never know if I ran the tranny dry, other than about $2k missing from my $1k checking account. But with no dipstick, I'm sure computer would gripe AFTER damage is done. Is there such a thing as a permanent dipstick (leave-in)?

Also, recommendations on that stripped female into the oil pan/block, and perhaps a hose re-route to a safer location?

Thanks again!

if you want to do a 'proper job' then your solution is a 'helicoil or 'timesert' re-threading device.

or just drill and tap tot he next (metric or imperial) size up.. its just a clip...

the dipstick is availible, but to be honest, I'd just get your indy / dealer to check it next time you are there - its very easy to make a mistake on levels.

there should be - or can be- an undercuff for the tranny / engine. do you reguarly drive down rutted country roads - or is your S500 the only G wagon with double glazing ;) LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom