Tranny wont change up after kickdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elm-autos

Car
Mercedes E300 TD 1998
Hi to all,
I have recently cured a problem (with some help from you guys) with my new/secondhand purchase of a W210 E300td 1998.

It has covered 111k and sometimes when I hit kickdown to overtake it holds in gear and wont change up. I stop and try to drive forward and back then it jumps into gear with a thud.

I turned off the engine, started straight back up, and into D no problem. Then stop into R no problem, 123 fine. drive off and fine again. STRANGE!

Then sometimes it is totally fine on the road, kickdown to overtake the tractor I had overtaken 5 mins ago, all fine.

It doesn't matter if the box is warm or hot, just when it feels like.
Any ideas ???

Also I don't know if this is linked with the above problem but again sometimes the gearbox will sort of jump into gear whilst driving. Whether hot or cold it does as it feels.

I really am not a hard driver at all (boy racer days are long gone).
Just like to sit back and enjoy the cruise.

I am an experienced mechanic and know when the box is changing up by the revs so I ease off a little just to help it slip in nicely.

I have read online about kickdown shut off relays and gearbox solenoids,filters and oils but could someone give me sum pointers in aid to cure this problem.

Many thanks in advance for any help I receive.

Elm autos.

Similar Problem ! Still Looking For A Cure !! [ Ex Mechanic, Retired] :(

Just another angle for you, mine has been doing something similar so I spoke to my transmission guy and after a quick test drive, he suggested the gearbox speed sensor. Said that if that is gone the gearbox does all kinds of strange things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom