Trans Canada Highway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
We have been visiting family in the prairie lands of Saskatchewan. The drive 10 hours east from Calgary is entirely flat and featureless with only an occasional town to break the monotony.

Going 2 hours west from Calgary is a different matter. A couple of days in the Rockies at Banff has rewarded me with better views from the driver's seat.

image-2337886155.jpg

image-1451209918.jpg

image-2065850939.jpg

image-3965369192.jpg

image-1689356948.jpg

Looks stunning. I'd love to live in Canada, but will likely settle for visiting at some point.

I've learned something tonight, inspired by your post... I've never really known how you're supposed to pronounce Saskatchewan. :dk:

So I went on Youtube to find out. Turns out I was pronouncing it perfectly all along. :eek:

Thanks for posting those photos.
I have driven the Trans Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver.
Yes the topography of the US Prairie States is just like its Canadian neighbour! Those of of Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana.
For me Calgary is just "a few up" the road from Colorado!

As you approach it the Continental Divide comes into view just like Canada .
As a young feral boy I came to visit the US, 5 times in one year! , that was back in 1962.
I have now lived in the US for more than 25 years mostly in Colorado.
I love it here.

The best time is springtime and late autumn with snow on the mountain tops and brisk chill in the air before the sun comes up to fill sleepy hollows. For me what could be better than a trip on I/70 westbound through Glenwood canyon. My brother and his wife came over a few years ago and had a jaw dropping experience of the Colorado scenery.

Like you he wishes he had the wherewith it all to come to the USA like me years ago.
Glenwood canyon just like what you have seen on your trip up there in scenic Canada .
Thank for posting the shots !:thumb:
Here is a clip from Golden to the first view of the mountain range at Genesse.
My shop is in Golden this is my test route where I thrash many a Mercedes up the grade to try it out
Tuercas Viejas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDgu9Bw3-QA

Less than 6 weeks now and I'll be in Canada, going to spend quite a bit of my driving time on the TCH. I'll try and take some pictures for when I get back :bannana:

Looks amazing! I'd love to visit Canada at some point.

Well come on over & be prepared to be amazed!
Why not come over to either Canada (like Whistler BC) or Colorado /Utah for the ski-ing maybe!
The best by far!

My particular favorite is Sunlight just outside Glenwood Springs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0jnIT_ykI
Great if you have kids--because--
There is always the Hot Springs nearby to sooth aching muscles and icy blasts. And kids to play!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vlciGI93PQ

Come over y'all
Direct flights to Denver from London.
Tuercas viejas

Many years ago took a ski-ing holiday based in Banff, flew into Calgary then drove to Banff, lovely through the national park except for having to buy a 12 month pass! From Banff we drove across the Rockies to catch a ferry to the islands from just South of Vancouver - what a drive!!

However, don't try a one way rental collecting the car from Calgary Airport and droppping it off at Vancouver Airport. Had no success finding out the cost before the holiday, it would have been much cheaper driving back to Calgary via the Okanagan Valley (as a change) and staying the night in an hotel. IIRC the one way additional costwas over $400!!

Chrishazle said:
Many years ago took a ski-ing holiday based in Banff, flew into Calgary then drove to Banff, lovely through the national park except for having to buy a 12 month pass!
We got our pass free - it's Canada's 150th celebrations this year so the national parks are all free of charge to celebrate!

Less than 6 weeks now and I'll be in Canada, going to spend quite a bit of my driving time on the TCH. I'll try and take some pictures for when I get back :bannana:

Just remember when the sign says 452 kms to the next fuel stop!--They mean it in Canada !

The only time I have seen anything like that in the US is San Antonio to Big Hig Horn in Texas.
Tuercas viejas

Well, I am very lucky.

Lived in Canada for the past 5 years.

1 year in Vancouver (fell in love with Canada at this point, and those that have visited Vancouver understand why for the past 10 years it is one of the top 5 places in the world to live).

The view of rockies is breathtaking. Skiing at night, under floodlights overlooking the city. Just wow.

Took a float plane trip (just me the wife and pilot), landed in a lake in the middle of the rockies, had a picnic and then flew back..

Drove through the rockies to Calgary and back via different routes, bear spotting on the lakes (with cubs) etc.

Then take a ferry across to Victoria (London buses and Black cabs) and the people even take "proper english" lessons to talk less Canadian.. Together with the amazing boats in the harbour, it is a stunning place to visit.

Then moved to Toronto.. A bit flat, large but with an amazing vibe in downtown and the harbour. 2 hour drive the Niagara Falls and some of the most stunning wine fields and towns (Niagara on the lake).. fantastic.

Then the last 3 years been living in Ottawa (Capital). Where the canal freezes each year and people skate to work. Sure -40 in the winter is not uncommon (has been as low as -50 with windchill) and then +35 in the summer is common too. A real assault on the seasons and a european feel. Yes, and only 2 hours drive to Montreal and onto Quebec City too.

Decided 4 weeks ago to drive to New York (8 hours), via Boston.
Spent the weekend and came back. Sure long drive but that in itself is part of the reason. The changing views, isolation and then madness all wrapped into a landscape that simply keeps you guessing what you can do next.

Canada is vast.. 5+ hours to fly from East to West.

I spend 5 weeks in Canada and then 2 weeks in England and have done this constant rotation for the past 5 years. Flying in and out of Ottawa to London (via Toronto) on BA. I have no complaints in all these years for BA. Service has been exceptional and thats after half a million miles with them.

I am one lucky dude indeed.

Last edited:
Im a bit of a planner. In 2021 (its only 4 years away!!) we have our Golden Wedding Anniversary. And I was thinking of going "gold panning" in Canada. A. because we have always fancied going to see Canada and B. I could pop a little golden something into SWMBOs pan by slight of hand. Now the Anniversary is in November of 2021 which means its gonna be cold and SWMBO aint to fond of the cold. So it would probably be an honorary date sometime in the summer of 21, if the Queen can have two birthdays I'm sure we could do two Anniversary dates. Anyone ever done Gold Panning in Canada in the summer, even a "Dude" Ranch and river/mine would work. I thank you. And sorry to crash your thread Meldew2.

I've done gold panning in Alaska. It was on an excursion from a cruise ship, it included visiting a sled dog camp on the same excursion.

From Skagway, you can take the "White Pass and Yukon Route" railway which traces the route the early gold prospectors took.

Cruise from Seattle, 7 days round trip.

Drop me a PM if you would like any more info.....

Montreal, Toronto then on into the US

May do that one year, I'll be at the opposite side, Vancouver way. Hope you have a great time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom