Trans sum leak

• Thread starter Deleted member 138290
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 138290

I’ve changed my conductor plate, selonoids, sumo gasket, connector plug, new oil and rad, coolant as had the contamination issue with valeo rad.... put all back together BUT can’t stop the sump from leaking ?? According to YouTube etc you don’t use sealant ?? Maybe I haven’t got everything 100% clean so the sump gasket secures ??

Have you torqued it up in sequence along with new bolts and gasket?

Actually had to do the bolts hand tight as I don’t have a small torque wrench... but all felt tight enough...

I did my 7g+ and didnt have a torque wrench that went so low so just tightened them to what i thought was about right, never had an issue with it leaking

Ordered new bolts anyway, never gave new bolts a thought at 1st..... DOH ! Thanks guys !

When fitting the sump on the 722.6 you use little metal brackets that the bolts go through.
If you look at the arrangement when tightening the bolt it will foul on these brackets before bending the sump.

I've had a few that even when torqued up correct leak, I now do them up higher and this solves the problem but you still have to be careful not to damage the thread.

Usually get a feel for this with a wrench in hand.

Yes I know they are only 8nm but when it’s guess work.... but I get new bolts tues/ weds and I’ve been sent a link to work out nm s via a normal wrench so job should be a goodun....

So, sump is spot on now I just can’t get the Tim socket to seal, I’m on my 2nd attempt with a shed load of sealant as not sure I put enough on to start with and even tho the old plug only had traces of grease on it ?? There was a thick red seal tho that the new kit didn’t seem to come with so also swapped that..... just about to start her up again and check for hopefully no leak this time ! It’s driving me batty now....

You shouldn't use any sealant on the gasket, Have you done the sump pan up in sequence ?

Put a new one in. It will leak still. Sealant will not help.

Its called a pilot bushing and are cheap from MB.

No sealant on the sump, that’s fine anyway now ! It’s the tcm connector plug that not sitting tight enough. I’ve put a new conductor plate/ solenoids in. Bought a kit so new everything... was told to put some sealant on connector by my local garage as he has done this before ! Didn’t have any leaks before I stripped it and it leaks too much fluid out to drive it as is !

I am curious tho that old pilot had a big seal but the new kit doesn’t ??

Right ok so with a torch I can now see fluid running down from the side of the trans so it’s a dif leak altogether and not what I 1st thought. Any ideas ? Have I knocked something ?

Attachments

• 740CD8AA-AB36-441C-90C1-3252B1355E2B.jpeg
    740CD8AA-AB36-441C-90C1-3252B1355E2B.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 13
  • BC2FF932-5D60-4989-BBFA-AECBE25A8D0F.jpeg
    BC2FF932-5D60-4989-BBFA-AECBE25A8D0F.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 13
I can't make anything out from the pictures.

The new Pilot Bush supplied from Mercedes/Febi etc. I've fitted have always had new seals.
If you got a new Conductor Plate etc. I'd have expected you to have got one of these too.

Assuming you got from a reliable source as there are likely to be a lot of parts being sold on ebay that could end up coming from anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom