Transferring music files?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
An idiots step-by-step needed please for ripping music from CD's and loading them to a USB stick. Puter is on W7. In the dim and distant past and on XP I used to copy CD's using Nero. Now when I load a CD it opens in iTunes and that's where I'm stuck. Grrrr :dk:.

1st attempt: load compilation CD with first track by Martha Reeves. iTunes then goes off somewhere and finds complete album by M.Reeves and ignores the compilation :confused:.

Come back XP...all is forgiven.

Ta.

Last edited:
On a PC which had iTunes installed, iTunes will open and you can import to it BUT windows media should also retain a copy in it's library by default………..at least it did on my PC running XP before I binned it.

Failing that, put the CD in, close iTunes, open WMP/ Media Centre and import that way………you may find that iTunes will also automatically copy into its own music folder as well.

Unfortunately, although you can import as MP3 into iTunes and burn MP3 discs, it won't let you transfer to a USB stick, even if the files are DRM free.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, although you can import as MP3 into iTunes and burn MP3 discs, it won't let you transfer to a USB stick, even if the files are DRM free.

Maybe not from the iTunes application itself but you should be able to move the source file to USB storage in explorer (is it still called that?) I had to do the same on my Mac to load a big SD card to use in the Audi.

DRUK, if your 212 has the media interface the best music solution I found was to leave an old iPod classic (mine's 5th gen. which you can pick up on fleabay for less than £80) permanently in the armrest. Works a treat.

Last edited:
Maybe not from the iTunes application itself but you should be able to move the source file to USB storage in explorer (is it still called that?) I had to do the same on my Mac to load a big SD card to use in the Audi.

DRUK, if your 212 has the media interface the best music solution I found was to leave an old iPod classic (mine's 5th gen. which you can pick up on fleabay for less than £80) permanently in the armrest. Works a treat.

It does have the media interface although I'm not sure what the strange fixture is for in the armrest. I am intent on using a USB stick in the socket in the glovebox. How does and iPod communicate through the armrest? 'Sides...I'm not up for paying iTunes for music which I have plenty of on CD's but just need to upload to the stick thingy.

So...I've got the 'Heatwave' album by M Reeves in Media player.

Track 4 says: In the Midnight Hour (Wilson Pickett?). If you click on that it plays.....wait for it.....This Old Heart of Mine by The Isley Bros.

CONFUSED :(:wallbash:

It does have the media interface although I'm not sure what the strange fixture is for in the armrest. I am intent on using a USB stick in the socket in the glovebox. How does and iPod communicate through the armrest? 'Sides...I'm not up for paying iTunes for music which I have plenty of on CD's but just need to upload to the stick thingy.

I hear you on being intent but I'll have one more go to promote the iPod solution. :D

You don't need to pay for music on iTunes, you can simply rip your CDs using iTunes then, where the iPod beats the USB hands down, is the ease of transferring said music to something portable as iTunes is made to work with IPod, obviously.

The fixture in the armrest, I'd hazard a guess, is either the socket for the media cable or the cable plugged into it already. Mine shipped with the older 30 Pin iPod connector.

Ok thanks. I'll have another look tomorrow at what's in the armrest. From memory there's a sliding vertical thing and a bracket mounted on the rear face with some sort of demountable clip cover.
Failing that I also have the iPod to MM connector for the glovebox so I suppose it could live in there if reqd.

In my armrest is a plastic thingy which I got unclipped: A212 820 06 51 which the EPC describes as 'Fixture: UHI Adaptor'. That clips into Contact Plate (phone) which has the same male/female contacts as the 'thingy'.
These contacts are smaller with a side 2mm jack and are different to early i connectors (I think).

Last edited:
In my armrest is a plastic thingy which I got unclipped: A212 820 06 51 which the EPC describes as 'Fixture: UHI Adaptor'. And it clips into Contact Plate (phone) which has the same male/female contacts as the 'thingy'.
These contacts are smaller with a side 2mm jack and are different to early i connectors (I think).

OK, so it looks as if armrest was for telephone pre-wire then in your case so if you've got a multimedia socket it might be located with the USB port. Mine are both in the arm rest on my facelift 212.

The Multimedia port in the W/S212's moved from the glovebox to the centre armrest pocket from around June 2011 build. The ones with the port in the glovebox don't have a USB socket either, but you can use one of the MM adaptor cables to connect a USB device.

There's no USB port in the armrest but there is the MM connector socket in the glovebox which I have the option of connecting to a USB lead or an iPod lead. The USB stick is considerably more compact than an iPod which is why I was insistent on it's use. However...if an iPod is easier to upload to then I might go that road. Is there no conflict with DRM files as mentioned above by GVM?

Thats the Universal Handy Interface... So buy a cheap older generation Ipod and all you need is the UHI to Ipod lead... Which should have been in the car... If you struggle let me know, I should have one to post to you.

Its the neatest way to do it.

However...if an iPod is easier to upload to then I might go that road. Is there no conflict with DRM files as mentioned above by GVM?
The issue mentioned by GVM is that iTunes won't copy non-DRM protected mp3's to a USB stick. iTunes works well in the Apple world, but there are better alternatives if you wish to rip your own CD's to mp3 files that you can then copy where you want with Windows Explorer.

If you want a free way of doing it, Windows Media Player (WMP) will allow you to rip CD's and the library is in plain sight on your hard drive, so you can copy any or all of the resulting files / structure to a USB stick or anywhere else for that matter.

Personally I use the dBpoweramp ripper as I want multiple formats created (FLAC for archival purposes and for home streaming, and mp3 for mobile devices), and iTunes to get the resulting files to my Apple devices. However, I don't let iTunes (mis)manage my music library as it has a nasty habit of trampling over carefully set indexing tags. As my mp3 file collection is just a collection of files in a folder structure, I can copy those where I like.

I found this clip; it shows you how to create an ordered playlist which should solve your issue with trying to play one song and getting another. Hopefully!

[YOUTUBE]yIcYea3gPBs[/YOUTUBE]

Sorted

Fixed it and thank-you for all the advice. Eventually got Windaes Meedja to rip a CD or two and then transfer that to the USB stick and it actually plays in the car.

:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom