Transmission clunk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robby

Car
Smart Roadster
This is on a 190E 2.6 auto.

At low speed, such as around town and car parks, I get a substantial clunk from the back of the car when I change gear. I can feel and hear it, passengers comment on it. The thing is, it feels and sounds like its coming from the back and not the autobox. Anyone know of a common bit that goes back there, or wears?

Its fine above about 30 or 40, and its worse going up a gear than down. Feels like backlash in something.

Driveshaft or cv joint maybe?

Robby
I have something similar. My approach is to figure out if its drive shaft CV or gearbox or propshaft coupling as I get my clunk when putting it into drive - loudly when the transmission is hot.
So on a quiet road at about 5 mph I moved out of D into N (by the way, you are NOT supposed to do this which is why low spead is essential) Then while rolling I moved back into D and there was no clunk, did it a couple of times to be sure.
I figure that as there was no clunk it is not the gearbox but more likely the CV joints of the driveshaft or the rubber coupling at the end of the propshaft
Hope this helps
Pinball

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom