Transmission fluid change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biggles1957

Car
A180 CDI Automatic
Just got an automatic Cdi 180 2006 A Class - 50,000 miles from new. Can someone tell me if there is a transmission fluid drain plug and if not how do you drain the transmission fluid? Also, any hints and tips about changing the fluid would be appreciated. I've read that it's a good idea to change the fluid at 40,000 mile intervals. Many thanks, Bob

Yes it has a drain plug and a filter. The oil is special ATF28-CVT. Best to buy it from Mercedes.
You need the universal transmission dipstick to set the level too.

Brilliant thanks! Do you know how much fluid it takes? And should I remove the pan and change the filter? (I presume it's inside like on most auto boxes?)

Brilliant thanks! Do you know how much fluid it takes? And should I remove the pan and change the filter? (I presume it's inside like on most auto boxes?)

Always change the filter!

You must be extremely careful to ensure you do this in a clean environment and ensure no dirt, lint from rags etc gets in to the transmission. Clean the pan and check for any debris that may indicate wear, there may be a small magnet in the pan.

Many thanks chaps for the advice and help. Can you tell me what the transmission 'number' is for my 2006 CVT A Class? I see quite a few articles mentioning different number designations and am not sure what mine is - if you know what I mean? I'll order. aflutter etc and some fluid and change it. Mine has a decent service history but I'm a great believer in changing auto transmission fluid rather than waiting for a fault to materialise! How much fluid does the transmission take do you know? Thanks a again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom