Transmission fluid dipstick reading on 190E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
So yesterday on the 190E I drained my transmission fluid, drained the torque converter dropped the pan, changed the filter and then went through the process of refilling the box.

Problem is that I found the dipstick particularly hard to read. I found that on one side of the dipstick the level shows up as being a fair bit higher than on the otherside.

I'm assuming that the lower reading will be the correct one and the higher mark on the other side should just be ignored? :dk:

Auto level

Hi think this may be duel reading as on volvos 0ne side of dipstick is cold reading other side is hot reading

That happens when you have been filling through the hole.

When im doing my SEC for example, I add 5 litres, run the car on the ramp, add the remaining two litres, drive home, check the level..

After the car has been driven the level will be easier to read. Remember car has to be running and at full operating temp.

Last edited:
Ahh Ok, I'll check it again after another drive.

Doing a major service on the 190 this week as its going to croatia on wednesday. Likely it will stay there for a year... will return it to blighty next summer just before the tax runs out.

So far its been;

Plugs
Plug leads
Distributor cap
Rotor
Air filter
Engine oil & flter
Gearbox oil, & filter
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Brake pads all round

...and looking at the thread about the spring assistor thingamies, I might fit a couple of those too tomorrow as the old girls going to be seriously overloaded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom