Transmission Fluid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogziler

Car
Clk 240
ving gearbox problems after service could some tell me how much transmission fluid should go back into a 240 clk please

It is likely to be around 6.5 litres capacity (actual capacity will be in the handbook). If you drain the pan and the torque converter, you should measure how much comes out, and then replace the same amount.

Then check the level with a transmission dipstick, which you will need to buy or make, there are some threads on this forum on the topic, and then top up carefully, you do not want to overfill it.

Last edited:
If you drain from the sump only, and leave it to drain for 30 minutes, or so, (torque converter left untouched if no drain plug fitted) you will need to put back just under 4ltrs to obtain the approx correct level...... you still need the dipstick for a final level check though.

Thanks every one put 5lt back in haven't got a dipstick yet, the gears are all over the place now. Starts ok but when you pull up and stop there's no drive also seems to be getting stuck in one gear.

Might help if we get the full story from the beginning?

Thanks every one put 5lt back in haven't got a dipstick yet, the gears are all over the place now. Starts ok but when you pull up and stop there's no drive also seems to be getting stuck in one gear.

Did you drain the torque converter?

You need a dipstick.

also getting error code p2600 ?

Hi again mechanic drained the gearbox approx 4.5lt came out was running fine before the work (first gear was a bit sharp) changed filter etc he then put 4.5lt back in, no drive, so top it up then she would move, but gets stuck in gear or no drive, also engine management light is now coming on. got an error code p2600

P2600 can mean Pilot Bush full of oil, i.e overfilled

It can also be a battery fault, recording an undervoltage in the gearbox.

My first step would be drain a bit from the gearbox, if that does not help get it on STAR

If it was fine before the oil/filter was changed, and your description of no drive, etc, then I suspect that the oil filter is not located in the valve block correctly, it needs a firm 'push' into the valve body for the 0 ring to seat properly, ..... the sump needs to be removed and the filter refitted.

If it was fine before the oil/filter was changed, and your description of no drive, etc, then I suspect that the oil filter is not located in the valve block correctly, it needs a firm 'push' into the valve body for the 0 ring to seat properly, ..... the sump needs to be removed and the filter refitted.

Also likely, a common error when changing the gearbox filter is that the old o rings get left behind on the transmission and the mechanic fits the new one over the top, therefore using two o rings, which will not be good, and will mean an imperfect fit.

ill try those thing out thanks whats really need now is a beer :)

Making some progress ! took some more ATF out car drives fine, until i pull up then it loses drive. Eventually the engine management light comes on Error code P2600 'incorrect gear ratio' trune the engine off and restart then drives again

Making some progress ! took some more ATF out car drives fine, until i pull up then it loses drive. Eventually the engine management light comes on Error code P2600 'incorrect gear ratio' trune the engine off and restart then drives again

I refer you back to post #11 :wallbash:

pointed that out to the mechanic he checked the old filter 0 ring is there and he is sure the filter is located correctly, looks like i'm just going to have to wait till dip stick turns up

I put in Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 my CLK A208 last month. My gears were getting stuck in second (only happened three times) but it was enough for me to get it in for a fluid change. I recall that more fluid was put in after than was taken out, so could have been low. Any way only had a 4 litre can and we didn't use all of it after the sump was drained and taken off. The dip stick was essential for a correct reading however. Only cheap but did the job.....
Gearbox Automatic Transmission Dipstick 1200mm For Mercedes Jeep Chrysler Dodge | eBay

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom