Transmission flush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bamba

Car
cdi 270 clk
Hi Guys

If i wanted to flush the tranny fluid how much oil do you think i would need to buy?
The car is a 2004 cdi 270 clk

Thanks

7- litres to do it properly.

Drop 3-3.5 litres from sump.
Put sump back on and fill up.
Undo the pipe at the front, going to the rad, and then start the car, you will get around 4 litres come out of the torque convertor.
Then you can do it up and fill up again or put another 2 litres in and wait for it to come out clear red, it may take another two litres to do this.

The choice is yours and depends how much of the old stuff you want to flush out.

Ah cheer's I had a change done at Ollies last week but i really fancy having all the fluid changed, i can't seem to find any history of it being done in the past despite having full m/b s/history, There seems to be some good buys on ebay and i do have access to a pit.

Thanks

Ah cheer's I had a change done at Ollies last week but i really fancy having all the fluid changed, i can't seem to find any history of it being done in the past despite having full m/b s/history, There seems to be some good buys on ebay and i do have access to a pit.

Thanks

So what did ollie do?
He usually changes all the fluid and the filter.

The young lad dumped the fluid out of the sump, changed the filter, cleaned the sump, and fitted new sump gasket and topped it back up

The young lad dumped the fluid out of the sump, changed the filter, cleaned the sump, and fitted new sump gasket and topped it back up

Presumably that is what you asked them to do. With hindsight, perhaps it may have been wiser to have requested a complete fluid change.

Regards, lim

To be honest i thought that was what they was going to do ( i thought the price paid would have reflected this ) I did ask about changing the t/c fluid and was told about it being sealed ?? so i knda figure that if i keep putting in fresh fluid and draining again sooner or later it must go a nice red colour again, I know it means wasting a lot of oil but i would rather be safe than sorry as they say, Do you think it's a bad idea then?? I would much rather have/get advice from people that know more than me than run the risk of knackering the box

Thanks

I kinda figure that if i keep putting in fresh fluid and draining again sooner or later it must go a nice red colour again,

Thanks

Its not supposed to be a bright red colour like new its supposed to be red with a brown tint to it, that's normal.

Did you ask/pay for a full flush or just a quick change? Either way, I'm sure Olly would have done a full flush, might be worth speaking to him.

He does have a DIY in the 'How To' section on how to do it properly so it would surprise me if he didn't do it properly himself

Did you ask/pay for a full flush or just a quick change? Either way, I'm sure Olly would have done a full flush, might be worth speaking to him.

He does have a DIY in the 'How To' section on how to do it properly so it would surprise me if he didn't do it properly himself

As i said i thought it was to be a full flush, It was after reading Olly's "how to" section that prompted me to go there But for the record i am in NO WAY implying that olly did anything wrong, If he was just round the corner then i would be happy to go back for a full flush but its a 200 odd mile round trip and work wise its not easy to get the time, neither is it cost effective, Hence my post asking how much fluid to buy.

...Hence my post asking how much fluid to buy.

Bamba,

If you now want to drain the transmission pan and then top it up through the filler, gIzzE's reply at post #2 gives you your answer. My ATF comes in 4 litre flasks, so two of those would suffice for two drains and top ups, with some in hand.
The fluid specification can be found here.
I think the part number for the securing clip on the Tx filler cap is A 140 991 00 55.
Bonne chance!

Regards, lim
(secretly hoping that Oliver Stoner will respond to original post and clarify)

Last edited:
As i said i thought it was to be a full flush, It was after reading Olly's "how to" section that prompted me to go there But for the record i am in NO WAY implying that olly did anything wrong, If he was just round the corner then i would be happy to go back for a full flush but its a 200 odd mile round trip and work wise its not easy to get the time, neither is it cost effective, Hence my post asking how much fluid to buy.

I know there's no accusations there, but he may be unaware that the 'young lad' did not do the flush properly. :thumb:

If you have any concerns, call me.

The young lad is a fully qualified Mercedes-Benz technician. One of the best in the business, hence why I employ him.

Sorry Olly, I should rephrase my post above. I cannot say it was done incorrectly without being there, reading posts is assuming.

I'm sure he's a top mechanic as he would not be working at your place otherwise!

If it was me I would have clarified what was included when asking for a price, i.e. drain, refill and new filter, or drain including the TC, new filter and refill, or full flush if the TC doesn't have a drain plug. Unless the customer asks or indeed stipulates what they want how is anyone to know? I learned a long time ago not to make assumptions.

I also think this matter should have been taken up directly with PCS and not posted here, although the initial question was quite legit. It's the casting of aspersions that followed which is wrong and has gained nothing.

Some TC have a drain bung. Some don't. The last two 5spd boxes we have done have a drain bung.

I read somewhere that the 7 speed boxes don't have a Torque convertor drain plug..
Well I ve got news..
My previous Merc, a 57 plate E320 Cdi actually did have a drain bolt on the Torque convertor..
I actually watched an Indy drain it...

Olly i would employ him just for his coffee making, ( lovely cuppa) I will call you today if thats ok

Last edited:
Edit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom