Transmission leak - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I took it back after 1000 miles for a check (as suggested by the dealer) they just said "wait and see, if it gets worse then come back", so it couldn't have been that bad. There is never any sign of oil/fluid on the drive when parked, the transmission works perfectly, and nothing has been done !
Oil and ATF gaskets can 'sweat' which is technically a low-level leak, so strickly speaking this should be addressed, but the actual fluid loss is minimal, and if it's not too bad then many mechanics will just say leave it alone.

Quite common also on diffs (from the drive shatfs etc).

(But of course the OCD in me likes to see the underside of the car bone-dry....... :) )

If this was my car (0r if you are a d.i.y er, and used to doing a certain amount of service work yourself,) then I would get underneath the car, remove the shields and really clean the areas where the oil leak is showing, drive it for awhile then check it again to identify where the leak is originating from ( front cooler pipe is clearly leaking, so maybe worth giving the connection a tightening. May work or not. But this would not the major problem, I think) As for the leak at the rear...transmission( or indeed any other oil ) "Weeps" onto the surrounding surfaces and can cover quite a large area. So a clean up will pinpoint where the origin of the leak actually is.

Bear in mind that this was 2 years ago and I do 12k per year in it. It's been serviced at the same dealership since then, and nothing was mentioned :dk:

Please read my thread below, basically same problem, happened after 3rd year gearbox service, gone on for 2 years and I have paid for one so called fix plus further inspection charges.

Its alot more common than people think. I can find 10 examples alone all with the same car after having the 3rd year gearbox service!!

Also seen two cars set on fire due to oil leak.

Small Oil Leak, Any Ideas - MBWorld.org Forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom