Transmission oil top up after radiator change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rbatt

Car
Porsches
I changed the radiator on my mum's 2002 slk320 yesterday as the little plastic pipe on the top nearside had cracked.

I had to remove the transmission lines from the radiators together with the coolant pipes. I'm guessing that I lost about 0.5 litres of transmission fluid that was inside the lines that I removed and also some that drained out from the gearbox side.

Do I need to replace this loss? If so, can I do this without having to fill from under the sump? Do I need to use MB fluid (I read on Pelican Parts that this was required, but I have some spare ferrari fluid that I could use)?

Many thanks

Your transmission should be 5g tronic or 722.6.
Yes its best to replace the lost fluid as these dont like flow fluid and can cause all sorts of issues.
The fluid is topped up from the dipstick tube , search 722.6 transmission fluid change , BlackC55 has done a very good guide just search this forum

Fluid spec is MB236.14

Rbatt And do it to the hand book,, dont over fill it,, this will make more problems .Check auto gearbox fluid on a hot engine , Put hand brake on set to P park then pull the dipstick outand clean it with lint free rag so no particals get in ti the oil off the dip stick . Then put the dip stick back in and and right away pull it out once more and check the level . It will look over filled if you do this check it the engine is cold later on .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom