Travel in London question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
One for London members who may be able to advise.
Going to take 9yr old Grandson to Natural History museum, Buckingham Palace and Westminster/Big Ben on Friday and have a couple of questions re the best ticket to buy on the underground and itinerary. The TFL site is very good, but the choice of tickets.travel cards is confusing. (To me anyway!:doh:)

The plan is to drive to Richmond and park in a long stay car park close to the station and use the tube. I've done this in the past successfully, but some time ago.

From there we are going from Zone 4 to Zone 1 and I believe buying a 1 day travelcard is my best choice? There will be 3 adults in total plus a 9 yr old.
I also understand the 9yr old travels free if accompanied by an adult with a ticket/oyster card/travelcard? How does he get through the gate without his own ticket?

Best station to alight to catch the Palace/ Big Ben/Westminster on the District Line? Probably going to Big Ben first then walk back to the Palace to hopefully catch the changing of the guard at 11 30 am. I'm hoping to avoid as much walking as possible (old grunter status);) I'm guessing Westminster is the best stop off point?
Will then take the tube back to S. Kensington station from St James Park underground for the History museum then back to Richmond, grab some dinner somewhere then drive home. May even push the boat out and eat close to the museum depending on the time.

Going to be a full on and expensive day (for me!) so just looking for any tips to avoid silly mistakes and save a bit of cash.
Ironic that I was born and lived in London in my childhood but the place is a mystery to me now.

Hi Rog,
IMO don’t bother with the hassle of Oyster/Travel Cards just tap your contactless bank/credit card on the reader as you enter/exit the station. Same price as Oyster & less hassle. ;)
RE your grandson getting through the gate there will usually be TFL staff at the gate and they will open it for you. :)
Abs

I can't help on the best ticket - i normally just get a travelcard and claim back through work!

Parking-wise it might be worth trying the Richmond Athletic Association parking. We parked there last time we went to Kew Gardens. I haven't checked but it might be cheaper than the NCP.

This shouldn't affect you, but just in case your itinerary changes - South Kensington station is only open for District Line trains. No Piccadilly Line until March 2022.

I can't help on the best ticket - i normally just get a travelcard and claim back through work!

Parking-wise it might be worth trying the Richmond Athletic Association parking. We parked there last time we went to Kew Gardens. I haven't checked but it might be cheaper than the NCP.
Good call. £8 50 v £19 80.:thumb:

As others have said - just use a contactless card or phone for travel. If you just turn up and use a card the total fare you accumulate on the card during the day is capped.

If visiting museums or other venues then check if you need to book a time slot for your visit. The venues I visited last month required that you book online so that they could control the flow of visitors. This applies to free entry as well as paid entry visitor attractions.

Make sure you use the same contactless card for all journeys. The daily cap for the zones you travel in is the same as the 1 day pass for the same zones.

If you have more than one contactless card in your wallet, don't just tap the wallet to the reader. Remove the card from it and then tap. Otherwise you'll get what's known as 'card clash', where they all may be debited for the journey.

Yep, definitely use 1 debit card for travel on London Transport. You could consider starting at Big Ben, Houses of Parliament walk up Whitehall, past the Cenotaph, past Downing St, past Horse Guard, take in Trafalgar Sq, through Admiralty Arch and down the Mall to the Palace.
A steady stroll ( for you oldens ) should take no more than an hour, with lots to see.

We have oyster cards so use them when using underground. Understand that regular debit cards can be used in the same way. Use the same card for all journeys so your daily use is capped.
Last time we went we found that the carpark attached to the tube station in outer London was well priced.
Do you have Tesco Club Card points? these can often be exchanged for London attractions with points value tripled.
Download "Tube Map" app to your phone to help plan tube routes.

We have oyster cards so use them when using underground. Understand that regular debit cards can be used in the same way. Use the same card for all journeys so your daily use is capped.
OK to use one contactless debit card to tap for all 3 adult fares?

I don’t think that will work because if you tap in you must tap out. It will confuse the machine.

If I go up west with my daughter I give her my Oyster and I use my ApplePay or I’ll just transfer £10 to her account so she can use ApplePay.

That won’t work Rog they’ll all need a different card each :)

Thanks for all the tips re travelling around London. Exceptionally good day that #1 Grandson enjoyed immensely.
First time in years for me walking around the capital and its nice that a lot of the major attractions are close together. It's only when you are on foot you realise that. The Mall, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Bridge and the London Eye all walked. A bit more energy and we'd have gone from Westminster bridge down to Trafalgar Sq.

The walk from St James Park underground through the park and down the Mall were really scenic and reminded me what a wonderful city London is. I couldn't live there again, but enjoy the occasional visits.

The suggestion to park up at Richmond Athletic car park was spot on. 10 minute walk to the station and £11 cheaper than the NCP car park a bit closer. Using the contactless debit card was certainly the way to go and we spent a paltry £9 30 each from Richmond> St James Park, Westminster > S Kensington and Gloucester Rd to Richmond. TFL closed S Kensington underground for an incident so we had to walk to Gloucester Rd instead. Could have done without that as I was on my last legs by then.
The Natural History Museum building must be one of the finest in London. Absolutely magnificent! The food and gifts inside were extortionate, but expected. Glad we took our own lunch and ate in St James Park after the changing of the guard.
Had a nice dinner in a restaurant opposite Richmond station then walked back to the car. Another thing I noticed was the great atmosphere that London pubs have. (Had a cheeky one close to Westminster Bridge)It's not the same where I live, and I think maybe special to the capital?
Pulled into the services on the way home as I had the "add oil at next fuel stop" and put in 0.5lt and the message went away. I remember this happening last year just before the service, so it seems the car uses around 0.5lt over 2k miles which I'm OK with.
Also, the rear brake pad wear sensor warning came up as I drove home. Got on the web and ordered some Powerstop ceramic pads from Rock Auto in the US that will arrive 14th Sept. Already had an email that they are shipped with a tracking # with Fed Ex.

Reasonable fuel consumption again, did see 26.2mpg but it dropped as I got close to home and urban speed limits. These E63's love to be driven and could sit at 80+ all day long .

20210903_162918[1].jpg20210903_200412[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom