Travel money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPCD

Car
C250 cdi amg sport plus
Hey guys

Im off to the states next week has anybody got some good recommendations of where to get travel money from.

Dont mind if i have to go to the place to collect the money instead of getting it delivered if i get a better rate.

Thanks in advance

Andy

A local, independent, travel agent had the best deal for me back in September.

However, the difference wasn't massive, something like £0.01 per Euro.

Can't help with the exchange thing Andy, but are you bringing lots of shiny goodies back? :D

Im off to the states next week has anybody got some good recommendations of where to get travel money from.

Depends how much you need as to how much hassle it's worth going to.

For business trips to the States I usually just book money online at Travelex and collect it at the airport.

Works out usually at about 2.25% margin on the official exchange rates.

To be honest I just take it out of the cashpoint in the US, I often find I get a better rate, than pre ordering in the UK.

Can't help with the exchange thing Andy, but are you bringing lots of shiny goodies back? :D

Nah this trip is meant to be totally for relaxation purposes but it just so happens that Sema is on while im over there lol

Depends how much you need as to how much hassle it's worth going to.

For business trips to the States I usually just book money online at Travelex and collect it at the airport.

Works out usually at about 2.25% margin on the official exchange rates.
Might have to look into that as would be easier to collect at the airport.
Would be looking to get about 5k changed up maybe a bit more

I use Travelex - order in advance and collect at the airport- I have consistently got a better rate than locally in UK. You get an even better deal if you are flying through Heathrow and sign up for the Heathrow Rewards Card.

Travelex at Terminal 5 is close to to the security before you go through so is very convenient.

Steve

Our card details were stolen at a Heathrow Travelex once, so I'd never use them again. We just buy the US$ from M&S now - always a reasonable rate and trustworthy.

ACE Fx and Thomas Cook Global (not thomas cook travel agents!) always seem to have the best rates for me.

One of them advertises the rates of the other "common" places (e.g. post office, M&S, banks, etc) and by how much they beat them that day in their strand office...

M

When we went to NY earlier this month I got some cash from Tesco after checking the best online rates, that they matched. Most of the expenditure (hotel, meals, wife's visit to Tiffany!) paid for using newly acquired Halifax credit card. It's the standard Visa exchange rate (better than any cash exchange) and no foreign usage fees (that most cards charge). The rate I ended up with on the Halifax card as shown on my statement was 1.625 when the best online cash rate was 1.610. A fraction better rate and much safer than carrying cash.

The best exchange rates: Boost your travel money - Money Saving Expert is a good place to check out the best rates.

In the week we went, Thomson were as cheap as anyone, and cheaper on pesos, with a same rate buy back scheme, so we bought there. You can also preload one of their cards with $ at no cost, but the card is very insecure, should you lose it, unless you report it in time.

In the week we went, Thomson were as cheap as anyone, and cheaper on pesos, with a same rate buy back scheme, so we bought there. You can also preload one of their cards with $ at no cost, but the card is very insecure, should you lose it, unless you report it in time.

From my experience with Thomson/First Choice, a few things to beware of with pre-loaded cards (particularly in the USA):
  • you can't check the balance at ATMs
  • if you use them in hotels/motels, a charge will be held on them (typically $100) that can take up to 10 days to clear - awkward if you're travelling around because your pre-payment soon "disappears" at each location and you're left with nothing that you're able to use
  • any problems and it costs you a fortune in phone calls at international rates to the UK because they don't react to queries on their website
  • their customer service is anything but that, with complaints rejected out of hand whilst they accuse the user and merchants of being at fault
Steer well clear of Thomson/First Choice.

when I last looked at this a year or so ago, paying by credit card is no more expensive than paying by cash.

if you get a no foreign transaction fee credit card, it's better to pay by credit card. I have this one: Halifax | Credit Cards | Clarity Credit Card

of course, with credit card, no worries about the cash being stolen.

I've always changed mine at the destination airport always been a good rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom