Travelling to garage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How about a little common sense here?

The object of the whole thing is to prevent people coming into contact with people to whom they may transfer, or from whom they may receive, the Dreaded Lurgy. Driving my car on my own, unless I'm hijacked at traffic lights, or mow down a pedestrian, I don't come into contact with other people. I'm only at risk when I get out of the car.
Let's extend the logic to everybody driving all over the place because it suits them.

That then requires more fuel, which requires more use of fuel stations (increasing the risk of virus transmission there), which requires more fuel deliveries which increases the risk to the tanker drivers, which requires... all the way back down the supply chain.

I'm not saying "don't ever", but to suggest that it has no consequences is not the case.

dvsa-logo-digital_crop.png

mot-resized-man-under-car-in-mot-bay_original.jpg

New rules on MOT testing for light vehicles
Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, cars and vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30 March 2020 will have their MOT extended by 6 months.

This will continue until confirmed otherwise.

This will allow vehicle owners to continue to be able to get to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home or do essential shopping.

Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and drivers can be prosecuted if they drive an unsafe vehicle.

We have published guidance for garages.

We've also published 2 guides for the public:

Guidance for MOT garages
The government has extended the requirement for certain businesses to close, but garages are allowed to stay open.

This is to make sure that essential vehicle maintenance and repair to keep vehicles, goods and key workers moving and safe can continue.

Thank you.

My MoT expires on 30th March. With no times mentioned in these new rules, I’m guessing that my MoT will be extended for six months and so I don’t have to risk taking it to a garage to be done yet.

EDIT. I’ve just had a look at the full gov site and it’s now totally clear. At the top it says “What will happen if your MOT due date is on or after 30 March 2020”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 219
(Thinks: in the highly unlikely event that the police stop me to ask what I'm doing, can I refuse to get out of the car, or even wind the window down or open the door, because that would put both of us at risk...)

After you Sir! (and do let us know how it went).

(Thinks: in the highly unlikely event that the police stop me to ask what I'm doing, can I refuse to get out of the car, or even wind the window down or open the door, because that would put both of us at risk...)

You can refuse to get out of the car with or without these current restrictions.

How about a little common sense here. Driving my car on my own, unless I'm hijacked at traffic lights, or mow down a pedestrian, I don't come into contact with other people. I'm only at risk when I get out of the car.

I think the point is that going out in your car, for reasons other than those stated by Boris and co, creates an additional risk, albeit slight, that you will be involved in a breakdown/accident that may require the emergency services to attend when they could be better employed elsewhere.
It’s all about doing whatever we can, however small, to minimise demand on the emergency services (as well as the social distancing thing)

That Is not the point.

We've been told by our prime minister/government to stay indoors....unless you know better?
Me and my wife and my daughter have decided to ignore that dictat. But, we are allowed to. Answer my question...where is the risk?

Me and my wife and my daughter have decided to ignore that dictat. But, we are allowed to. Answer my question...where is the risk?
Are you simple or something dude!

Again, not the point.

If you feel you are a higher authority than the prime minister and government, fair playfilter full yer boots.

I'm not discussing what the risks are.

I salute you Mr Better than anyone else and sod the consequences

Considering that we’re talking about the lives of thousands of people here, how about you prove that there’s absolutely no risk to anyone before taking it upon yourself to ignore advice? If you don’t care about anyone other than yourself, I can understand your attitude, I just can’t for one second condone it. Just because you’re “allowed to” do something doesn’t make it right.

Calm down kids...we are all essential workers. And we need to eat.

Simple...in what way?

Deleted, as you know the saying dont argue with an idiot , they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

That then requires more fuel, which requires more use of fuel stations (increasing the risk of virus transmission there), which requires more fuel deliveries which increases the risk to the tanker drivers, which requires... all the way back down the supply chain.

I came to the conclusion that if a journey is not necessary then don't do it.

- fueling presents a contact risk
- comfort breaks may also preset such a risk
- a breakdown represents an unlikely but possible contact risk
- an accident represents an unlikely but potentially very costly contact risk
- being stopped or questioned by the authorities represents a small contact risk but also time wasting
- it sets a bad example to others who might otherwise have declined to take a similar unecessary journey - bit lijke speeding at roadwoerks without averaging cameras - a few people breaking the limit generally means taht most will do the same.

Deleted, as you know the saying dont argue with an idiot , they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
I didn't know the saying...but everyday is a learning opportunity...even for idiots.

Reactions: GLK
The law makes no mention as to how far you can go for an MOT but we would suggest the distance is kept as short as possible because even though you are exempt from having a valid MOT certificate in the circumstances described above, if you are stopped by the police you could still be prosecuted for any defective parts on your vehicle e.g. exhaust, brakes and tyres etc. If you call in at shops etc. on your way to the MOT, it may be held that you are using the vehicle for other purposes and the above exemption won't apply.

I have stage 4 copd and will not get a ventilator! Most people who get this will survive, I probably won’t. Will the threat stop me going out? Not on gods earth. I stay the 2m away from people and staying in is causing breathing difficulties as I need to keep moving to keep my lungs working.
If you want to go out, go out, just do what you can to keep your distance.
Oh and on another note, I was talking to my neighbours son and the delivery driver who dropped off my new tyres from camskill this morning, they aren’t getting any hand sanitiser or face masks so spare a thought for the delivery drivers bringing stuff to your house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom