Travelling to Malta, any Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donshl

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55 AMG
Hi All,

I'm going to Malta on holiday, have anyone else been and are there any tips/info from personal experience?

Leaving on Thursday :D

Thanks

Relax and have a great time.

Try to absorb the local culture - find out what makes them tick and you'll have better memories.

lol Cheers, GVM, I'll certainly look for them ;)

Will try to LTD, would be great if there are some hidden places off the beaten track!

Had a few days in Valetta three or four years ago. It was a hoot! Some bits are very much like Britain in the 60's, other bits are much more up to date; lots of fascinating history pretty much all over the island if that's what you fancy. The buses, underground tunnels, cathedral and fort are all well worth a look if you're in Valetta.

Please update this thread with your experience - wife and I go to Malta May 19th for post daughter's wedding R&R - and we're ready for the break already, am contemplating lots of valium to keep me sane for the next 3 weeks!

I took my wife for a relaxing spa break to Malta for her 30th.

5 star Hotel | Corinthia Palace Hotel and Spa | Near Presidential Palace

The area was beautiful and very relaxing, but after 5 minutes relaxing by the pool side, she decided that we needed to go off and explore some other parts of Malta, so we ended up do a trip to the island of Gozo which was also lovely and well worth a visit.

Thanks for the heads up Phil, we are staying right up north in Ramla bay. Plan to do couple of day trips to Valetta as I've heard very good things!

Will update this thread once I get back Chris, I'm sure it will be a nice place get some R&R after all the wedding "fun"!

If you're going to drive there, you'd better have eyes in the back of your head.

Driving on the northern part of the island is ok but on the sourthern part is like different country and roads are in very poor condition. I was overtaken by local when I stopped to check the traffic before turning left. Locals don't have patience for tourists.

I recommend visit to the Blue Grotto and taking the boat to see it.

Lots to see depending on hat you are interested in. Valetta has had a fortune spent modernising, cleaning etc and well worth a visit. Mdina a must too but try to avoid going when the tour groups are in. Evening is ideal. Lots of ancient neolithic sites but some you need to book for. Gozo is much quieter and life is slower there. Ferry is about 20 euros for car and passengers (only pay on return journey)
The driving really isn't that scary - just keep your wits about you. Watch out for traffic wardens - they will pounce for the slightest parking misdemeanour. The main roads are now in pretty good shape - probably better than the uk but the minor ones can be interesting and there are very few road signs.
If you are into the beach then Paradise Bay or Golden bay are pretty good,
One word of warning eating out is expensive if you want anything decent. Think London prices and then some.

Forgot to mention all the old cars. Loads of 123s, 124s etc. Still working as taxis, mostly in amazing condition. Also lots of cars that have long since died out in the UK

Wow thanks for the useful information gents! Especially about the driving :) Looks like it's going to be interesting!

Will report back once I get back (hopefully in one piece), will definitely check out the beaches

I guess there's no escaping the traffic wardens...

I worked in Malta for a year and we lived in an apartment in Sliema.

On my first day I was walking to work at Tigne Point and stopped to cross the road. 1 car turned left in front of me and a second one undercut him. They stopped to discuss the damage and were quickly on their way!

All earlier comments are worth noting - excellent restaurants particularly between Sliema and St Paul's Bay. Gozo - Blue Lagoons is fantastic but beware of bird hunters if walking near the coast - those guns are real and fully loaded!

If you're going to drive there, you'd better have eyes in the back of your head.
Hehehe...

I didn't bother driving while there as it was great fun using the old buses, but from what I witnessed the driving is best described as "interestingly erratic". I suppose it had to happen some time, but the taxi taking us back to the airport actually crashed with us in the back of it. It was an example of aggressive driving going nastily wrong, and I could see the crash was going to happen - long enough in advance to check my wife's seatbelt and to tell her to brace - yet the driver still ploughed on.

Police arrived pretty quickly, but before they did the taxi driver was pleading with me to say that it was the fault of the other driver. It wasn't, and that's what I told the Police Officer when interviewed at the roadside :rolleyes:

BTW, I second the advice about Mdina and also the comments about eating out not being cheap. Just remembered that the Maritime Museum in Valetta was worth a few hours too. finally, it can be very humid which can make walking around a bit tiresome, but it's a great island to visit :thumb:

... but beware of bird hunters if walking near the coast - those guns are real and fully loaded!

You mean there are any birds left? If it moves on the island, they shoot it:eek:

Still it's better than when I was there, I witnessed a soviet style handover from Dom Mintoff to Mifsud-Bonnici, in the main square in Valetta. Quite comical, but resented by many (M-B never faced the ballot box) so the other side started throwing more bombs about.

I lived in B'bugia a hundred yards or so from the main gas storage tanks, because of this one had to be careful on arriving home at night as the street was patrolled by heavily armed soldiers.

Last edited:
Just so you know when I was there Malta had more Ferraris per head of population than any other country in the world. With only 1 decent road across the island to drive them on.

Just so you know when I was there Malta had more Ferraris per head of population than any other country in the world. With only 1 decent road across the island to drive them on.

Never saw one when I was there...Fartaris yes, Ferraris no :D

Many fond memories of Malta, but from when I was in the Navy and they are not the sort of things you want to hear as a married couple........ :devil:

Any Naval people in? Complete the rest of this song:

When you walk down the Gut
With your arm round..........:eek:

Last edited:
On a serious note, what we used to call The Gut (you don't want to know!) is really called Strait Street. Down the bottom end you will see gouges out of the sandstone walls above head height. These were caused by broadswords welded by the Knights of St. John as the street was used for sword practice!

• There is/was a very interesting museum about the Knights.
  • Look inside some of the churches - stunning
  • The sunset over Valetta harbour is quite possible one of the most beautiful sights in the world
  • The Maltese are a fiercely proud people. Buy a drink for one of old men in a bar and they will tell you amazing stories about winning the George Cross (awarded to the whole Island)
  • The little pea pasties (pastizzi) they sell in local bakeries are amazing
  • Be grateful the Baracca lift no longer operates (deathtrap for drunken matelots back in the day! Do a search on line......)
  • Be sure to ride the local busses at least once. Quite an experience and held together with masking tape is probably no exaggeration
  • Like someone has said, the place is like a car museum
  • Mdina (the Silent City) is indeed worth visiting

On a serious note, what we used to call The Gut (you don't want to know!) is really called Strait Street. Down the bottom end you will see gouges out of the sandstone walls above head height. These were caused by broadswords welded by the Knights of St. John as the street was used for sword practice!

• There is/was a very interesting museum about the Knights.
  • Look inside some of the churches - stunning
  • The sunset over Valetta harbour is quite possible one of the most beautiful sights in the world
  • The Maltese are a fiercely proud people. Buy a drink for one of old men in a bar and they will tell you amazing stories about winning the George Cross (awarded to the whole Island)
  • The little pea pasties (pastizzi) they sell in local bakeries are amazing
  • Be grateful the Baracca lift no longer operates (deathtrap for drunken matelots back in the day! Do a search on line......)
  • Be sure to ride the local busses at least once. Quite an experience and held together with masking tape is probably no exaggeration
  • Like someone has said, the place is like a car museum
  • Mdina (the Silent City) is indeed worth visiting
Great advice.

Is there not also a big church which still displays the UXB which crashed through the roof? Its years since I went there. Catacombs don't seem to have been mentioned - I found them interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom