treasure hunt/scatter rally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_k

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa GTV 3.0
Just testing the water, does anybody fancy taking part in either a 'treasure hunt' or a 'scatter rally' around East Sussex in the spring? ie once the weather gets a bit warmer

If there's less than 13 cars ( a very poor turnout) it can be run as a treasure hunt with a set route. If there's more than 13 cars then it needs to be a scatter rally with similar clues but no set route.

Either way, you'd be looking at (approx) a fifty mile drive answering questions and working out clues en route

If there's enough interest, I'll suggest a couple of dates and take it from there :)

Sounds interesting, though can you design it so there's no element of racing?

yep - it's not a time trial and there's no bonus for finishing quickly - whichever we go for will involve people getting in and out of their cars so it should be nice and relaxed :)

following a couple of PMs asking for 'more details'

if we go for a treasure hunt you will be given a set of clues that guide you around a set course. At various locations along the route you will need to solve clues and pick up information from points at or near the roadside before moving on to the next clue

There will be several points along the route included in the clues where you can pick up the trail if you get lost

If we go for a scatter hunt, the format will be slightly different. you'll be given a set of clues for up to ten different locations but your final score will be made up for only seven of these destinations - it's up to you to plan your route wisely and keep within the mileage allowance.

There will be no penalties for time as it's not a race

if there is a tie in points gained for clues answered then the car with the lowest mileage will win

No problem with using sat navs, maps etc to plan routes

hope that all makes sense

We've done a few of these over the winter with local (and not so local) clubs and they have been a hoot and make for a good day out

Any other questions - please ask

Andy,
This sounds as though it could be fun, however I only know my shift pattern two or three weeks in advance so will not be able to commit to it earlier than that.
I shall, however, be keeping an eye on this thread.

Do add me to the 'interested' list! Certainly sounds fun!

Definitely interested - can we post a list of possible dates / weekends please?

let's try and nail a date down then

suggestions

29th March

5th April

19th April

pleae try and say which one you can make and we'll set one as a definite and let's try not to clash with the skid pan training day at Hendon :)

let's try and nail a date down then

suggestions

29th March

5th April

19th April

pleae try and say which one you can make and we'll set one as a definite and let's try not to clash with the skid pan training day at Hendon :)
Andy
Sounds good - TREASURE!! - what type of treasure - AMG Mono's??? :D
any guys from Scotland/North interested - maybe form a team?
we could maybe share travell down in a car and make aweekend of it

Any one fancy sponsoring stuff?? - old spring compressors and the like:)

if there is a tie in points gained for clues answered then the car with the lowest fuel consumption will win

:D

Actually that could be a challenge on a run out, to obtain the highest mpg above the manufacturers figures within a time frame.

It's harder than one thinks.

:D

Actually that could be a challenge on a run out, to obtain the highest mpg above the manufacturers figures within a time frame.

It's harder than one thinks.

it kind of relies on everyone being full of fuel at the start and then topping up at the end - not everyone has a digital readout of their mpg :)

it kind of relies on everyone being full of fuel at the start and then topping up at the end - not everyone has a digital readout of their mpg :)

Like me and you, you mean.:D

I could be up for an economy run with clues and checkpoints as long as mactech doesn't join in..:p

Not if you warm up the car 1st and your rival hasn't...

Try it and see. Drive a combined route and see whether you can beat the manufacturers figures and by how much. It's not easy.

Try it and see. Drive a combined route and see whether you can beat the manufacturers figures and by how much. It's not easy.

Have done - on the basis this is factually correct. This involved crossing Edinburgh too. However I have never attained the ex urban figure.

DSC01113.jpg

When driving it sensibly (i.e. not @ 100mph +) on a warm day I can have her to 44mpg within 10miles on a mixture of uphill, downhill, and country road + roundabout type situations.

Even in a trip into Clydebank @ peak time I've had 45mpg from the car, however any "spirited" use sees this drop, and I aim for 38mpg on average (I do a lot of short journeys + town driving as well as fun spirited drives).

I've seen screenshots of an e220cdi @ 63mpg but in truth I cannot achieve this excellence without much less hilly terrain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom