Treatment for new leather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkP80

Car
ML350 Grand Edition
Hi all,

Following on from the excellent advice I received regarding protecting the paint on MrsP's soon to be delivered car, I've now got around to wondering about the leather interior.

Should I apply any sort of protection to the leather seats (real leather, not man made)? They're black with cream piping. MrsP's SLK had Alpaca grey seats which her jeans were always turning blue, so I expect the same to happen to the piping at the very least. The SLK had Stargard interior treatment. Not sure if it does anything, but the blue always came off easily with the Stargard leather cleaner.

So, any specific protection treatments recommended for brand new leather?

Cheers,
MarkP

Hi I just use the Auto glym product to feed mine a couple of times a year, so may be worth putting on as protection. Only issue I have is that if its on too thick I get some fill in the holes on the perforated seat leather. So I just give them a prod with a tooth pick!
Ps try to stop the wife shopping in Primark!!!
Don
Autoglym - car cleaning products, car care products, car valeting, car detailing

Hi all,

Should I apply any sort of protection to the leather seats (real leather, not man made)? MarkP

I love this new term 'man made leather'. The first time I heard it was in a MB show room when the sales rep was showing me a new merc. I burst out laughing at the phrase and told him that 'man made leather' is called 'PVC'!!! He did seem a little put out at the idea that leather of any kind had to come from an animal!

I love this new term 'man made leather'
- Agreed. The reason I made the clarification was that the car is an ML, and as standard the seats are Artico artificial leather.

Interestingly, she showed me blue dye on her handbag last night (from her jeans), which she hadn't been able to remove using the MB leather cleaner. Yet the same cleaner removed it easily from the Alpaca grey leather in her SLK. So maybe the Stargard treatment does actually do something worthwhile?

MarkP

Just another vote for Autoglym Leather Care Balm - have used various other products, including Gliptone but the only one that has (IMO) a nice leather smell is the Autoglym stuff. Leaves a nice matt finish after the final buff. Ordered mine from Amazon as no Belgian distributor but it is probably widely available in the UK.

One of the beat leather cleaners is one originally produced for equestrian purposes. Effax leather combi does a fantastic job of cleaning and feeding leather. It removes the grease you get on saddles etc from horses and more importantly leaves a matt, low odour and non slip surface.

It works on leather boots, shoes, armchairs etc etc.and it is cheap compared to some products. Find a local equestrian store or get it on line here as this place is about £5 cheaper than the Amazon seller when you include delivery.

EFFAX LEATHER COMBI 500ml :: Horse Products :: Animal Medication Direct

try gliptone its excellent stuff liquid leather is a good company to use

Any of the above but dont rule out Johnson baby wipes!!
Dont laugh but an uphosterer told me its wicked to clean and protect leather.
Probly the cheapest product you could buy to do the job.
Andy.

Any of the above but dont rule out Johnson baby wipes!!
Dont laugh but an uphosterer told me its wicked to clean and protect leather.
Probly the cheapest product you could buy to do the job.
Andy.
I heard that some time ago and tried it, didn't find any problems, so have kept some in the car since. They are also useful for cleaning fingers after removing and replacing valve caps when checking ones tyre pressures especially with a light interior.

Forgot to mention they are also good at rubbing some marks off carpets too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom