Tri-Star Bonnet Badge - 2016 W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silver1011

Car
2016 W212 E-Class Saloon SE
Seems to divide opinion this one, but as a first time Mercedes-Benz owner the appeal of the Tri-Star bonnet badge is too great.

I get the sense having the Tri-Star on the grill as well as one on the leading edge of the bonnet is a big no-no!

I'm going to have to do it though :)

A library image of my W212...

Mercedes~-E-Class~(2).jpg

Sure, it'll look a little odd externally, but looking down the bonnet and seeing the Tri-Star is a must for me. I guess I can always swap it back if it really looks wrong, at least the badges appear to be easily interchangeable.

Cheap from China too...

upload_2019-4-14_21-27-18.png

Do you have the space under the bonnet to accommodate the depth of the three-pointed star emblem? Does the bonnet have a cutout in the double skin underneath?

Not sure yet, I don't pick the car up until Friday, will take a look then.

From the limited images online...

W212-E300-E63-AMG-style-Aluminum-alloy-Front-Engine-Hoods-car-engine-bonnets-For-Mercedes-Benz.jpg

Last edited:
I understand what you mean,that Tri Star is iconic,you are right there is some debate about retro fitting them,I would suggest you look for a better one on ebay,some of the very cheap chinese ones will pit and rust,in a very short time,other than good luck I hope you have the hole and the room to fit it.

You're right, it is definitely possible for things to be too cheap, there are genuine ones on eBay too, all between £40 and £60.

I just submitted an eBay 'make offer' on one of the cheap Chinese ones that 'claim' to be zinc alloy.

At £9.50 I can replace them after each salty winter for a good few years :)

upload_2019-4-15_8-27-18.png

will be interesting to see what it looks like on the car ? please post a photo when fitted thanks

Will do, the badge is coming from China so might be a few weeks away.

Can be quite easily retro fitted as I have seen plenty of W212/13s knocking about with this modification.

However, it looked completely wrong especially with main star in grill.

I'll take a look when I get the car.

As long as it looks OK from where I'm sat, that's the main thing :)

The Tri-Star arrived and was promptly fitted.

Not to everyone's taste, granted, but it simply isn't right looking through the windscreen down the bonnet and not seeing it!

IMG_0875

IMG_0877

IMG_0876

IMG_0879

IMG_0878

IMG_0885

Just washed it, so of course its now lashing it down :)

IMG_0882

Last edited:
Can't see the images in above post ^^

Strange, they're appearing for me, can anyone else see / not see the pictures?

Any better? I've set to them to 'Everyone'...

Yep can see them now. Some owners do do conversions but they have it either on the bonnet or in the grille. Have you thought about a starless grille (if they exist)?

Nice one, thanks for letting me know.

I noticed that the pre-FL W212 had the star-less grill, not seen one for mine though...

upload_2019-5-6_20-11-59.png

Double star is the same as double denim in my eyes but it’s your car and you do to it what you see fit!

Looks a lovely example you’ve got there too, hope you enjoy it...

Nice one, thanks for letting me know.

I noticed that the pre-FL W212 had the star-less grill, not seen one for mine though...

View attachment 85845

Mercedes-Benz_E_220_CDI_Elegance_%28W_212%2C_Facelift%29_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht%2C_30._August_2014%2C_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom