Trickle Charger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55MO

Car
C63 AMG 2009
Hi All

Picking up my W204 C63 AMG on friday. Its not going to be used all the time so was hoping to get a trickle charger for it while its not in use.

Does anyone have any recommendations.

For my In the pat i have used CTEK Multi MXS 5.0 on both an W211 E55K and an E60 M5.

Just wondering is there is anything else that would be recommended.

Regards
M

The CTEK is what MB sell as their own label trickle charger. The MXS 5 was my prefered charger for the W219

I use an AccuMate maintenance charger on my SL - the advantage of that (for me) is that it can be wall-mounted:

AccuMate 6V & 12V Battery Maintenance System

The battery in my SL is now 12 years old so it's definitely paid for itself, never mind the convenience/peace of mind :)

I use an AccuMate maintenance charger on my SL - the advantage of that (for me) is that it can be wall-mounted:

My CTEK sits in the cradle that used to hold the AccuMate I had for my bike :)

Set up looks surprisingly similar to yours, I just have the cable coming out the side of the boot as it's easier for me to see when it's clear of anything that will trap it.

Yup the battery for the SL is in the boot, so it all works very nicely :)

I have CTEK mounted on the wall for the SL. So far so good. Car fires up fine even when left for 4 weeks which was the longest so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a battery of that size on an AMG the CTEK 3.8 or 5.0 will be spot on.

The problem with the Accumate is that its not very powerful, and though it will maintain the charge on a well charged battery, its only 1.2amps - the CTEKs are 3.8 and 5 so 3-4 times faster. So if the battery is well down it will take eons to get it fully charged with a Accumate, and runs out of puff at 75A/H batteries.

The problem with the Accumate is that its not very powerful, and though it will maintain the charge on a well charged battery, its only 1.2amps - the CTEKs are 3.8 and 5 so 3-4 times faster. So if the battery is well down it will take eons to get it fully charged with a Accumate, and runs out of puff at 75A/H batteries.

It all depends what you want it for. The AccuMate is a maintenance charger - designed to bring a battery up to full charge and keep it there for periods of time when the car isn't being used (offsetting the battery's natural self-discharge and any parasitic drain from the car). So if you want to fast charge a flat battery it's not the right solution. But it's no trickle charger either - 1.2A would put nearly 60 Ah into a battery over 2 days. It's worth bearing in mind that the higher the charge rate the more voltage is being applied by the charger - lower voltages are kinder to the car's electronics IMHO.

The battery in my SL is a 100 Ah one and I've used the AccuMate on it since 2006 without any problems at all. It's not unusual for the car to stand for 6-8 weeks over the winter.

Stick with what you got.

I got the CTEK MXS 5.0... excellent so far.

For a battery of that size on an AMG the CTEK 3.8 or 5.0 will be spot on.

For anyone else who's looking, the biggest advantage of the 5.0 the 3.8 isn't the extra 'power', it's the recondition mode which done once a year will put years of extra reliable life into your battery.

As mentioned the battery in my SL is over 12 years old now :) :thumb:

I use the MXS 5.0 I would stick with the one you got

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom