Trickle charging C205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGJames

Car
C43
Hi everyone,

I wanted to double check before ordering the wrong thing...

My car is used infrequently (especially at the moment) so I am getting some battery alerts.

I want to trickle charge and found the CTEK MXS5.0 seems to be popular but CTEK also have a CT5 Stop Start which seems less common and more expensive - presumably that is the one I need though?

Also on the C class do these chargers need a cover removed to connect to the battery or is there charging points to clip on to?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Buy the best one out there. Attach it direct to your battery if you can. The big battery.

CTEK CT5 Start Stop is specifically for cars with stop start technology. If yours doesn't have this, then the MXS5.0 is a good buy. As BlackC55 says, attach directly to the main (big) battery - CTEKs come with connectors that you attach permanently to the terminals with a short 'fly lead' where you then 'plug' in the control unit. I've used CTEKs for decades without problems and recommend them for cars that are sat around for long periods - one of my sports cars is now 21 years old and is still on its original battery despite being laid up for months on end over winter - all thanks to its CTEK charger.

Whilst it might be more convenient to connect the battery you should connect to the charging points. There are charging points for a reason and this is so the car can monitor the charge going into the battery. If you charge the battery directly the car will still think the battery is flat when it is not and you may still get low battery warnings.

Thanks guys. I've ordered the CT5 Stop/start.

The main reason for this is that the peak charge is below what the manual advises not to exceed... so less chance of any user error!

Seems like there are charge points (Mercedes manual app has some blurry diagrams so hard to tell what is what but hopefully will be easy to figure out in person).

Hi, quick question - I can see where the positive & negative terminals go, but where is the earth point? Or is that not even needed?

Many thanks

Positive should be under a red flap in the engine bay with a negative brass terminal very close to it.

Hi, quick question - I can see where the positive & negative terminals go, but where is the earth point? Or is that not even needed?

Many thanks

Negative is earth! The (-) jump start post, is usually a stubby post (not brass in my wife's B Class) somewhere quite near the red + jump start connector.

CTEK CT5 Start Stop is specifically for cars with stop start technology. If yours doesn't have this, then the MXS5.0 is a good buy. As BlackC55 says, attach directly to the main (big) battery - CTEKs come with connectors that you attach permanently to the terminals with a short 'fly lead' where you then 'plug' in the control unit. I've used CTEKs for decades without problems and recommend them for cars that are sat around for long periods - one of my sports cars is now 21 years old and is still on its original battery despite being laid up for months on end over winter - all thanks to its CTEK charger.
21 years on the same battery???? That has to be an entry for the Guinness Book of Records. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom