Tricks of the wardens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Parking attendants have been caught on camera admitting they cheat drivers to boost the number of tickets they issue. Undercover investigators filmed a series of wardens confessing their top tricks. The film shows them:

Discussing how to give motorists tickets - even after they have driven off.

Lurking in car parks so they can give a ticket the instant the time limit expires.

Observing a motorist stopped on a yellow line for less than the required full five minutes before issuing a ticket.

Learning dubious "tricks of the trade" from supervisors.
An undercover reporter working for Apcoa in Southwark even filmed a warden who ticketed a motorist asleep at the wheel instead of moving him on.

The Channel 4 Dispatches documentary, Confessions Of A Parking Attendant, also infiltrated the HQ of Capita, which runs the congestion charge for Transport for London (TfL). It shows how Capita officials left a desperate woman at the mercy of bailiffs even though she sold the vehicle in question before the congestion charge was introduced. An independent tribunal cleared her name.

The filmmakers say Capita's computers frequently crashed, leaving callers trapped in a "complicated penalty web". They accuse the firm of running a "rigid" system in which small mistakes by drivers quickly became "costly fines".

At Apcoa in Southwark, a reporter was told by a supervisor: "The best way to hit them is you go in groups. Two people having a hand-held [computer] ... just sneak in from somewhere - someone to distract them." In another case wardens are told to ticket a distraught woman whose car has broken down.

The documentary claims some councils collude with contractors to set ticket number targets and parking firms are penalised if they fail to reach them. But it also exposes the violent attacks and frequent abuse meted out to attendants.

RAC Foundation executive director Edmund King, who appears in the programme, said: "Many of the scenes are everyday occurrences across Britain. We are in danger of becoming a Big Brother state run by inhumane bureaucrats."

Today Apcoa said if it discovered any wrongdoing, disciplinary action would follow. It said some comments in the film were "canteen-culture banter" that was not an accurate reflection of real life.

Richard Thomas of Southwark council said: "Parking illegally causes congestion and is dangerous. We don't want to raise income, we want people to park legally." He said cases of alleged unfair treatment would be investigated.

Capita and TfL criticised Channel 4 for not letting them see the film in advance. A TfL spokesman said: "We will take on board any legitimate criticisms levelled."

Dispatches: Confessions Of A Parking Attendant will be screened on Channel 4 at 9pm tomorrow.

Although inexcusable I guess these are some of the reasons why so many of them are attacked.... I must admit to nearly running some of them over… nearly being the key word!

The last guy who gave me a ticket was a top bloke.

He was quite within his rights to give me the ticket, and I was happy to accept it, but he did try and cancel the transaction with me lookin on.

In some ways I feel sorry for them, they spend all day outside in the cold and have threats and abuse thrown at them while they try to do their jobs.

Gotta remember though, if it wasn't for illegal parking they'd be out of a job, just like the criminal/police relationship.

If they cheat on us, they deserve what they get, most people don't like cheats in whatever walk of life :(

I believe that one of the issues is the de-criminalisation of parking enforcement.

Basically, it means that instead of it being dealt with by Police Authority Employed Wardens (and the proceeds of the fines go to govt, not the Authority) - decriminalisation mean that the responsibility for enforcement goes to the local council, who in turn contract-out to private firms.

It becomes a commercial deal.

The advantage to the Police Authority is that they don't have the cost of employing the wardens, but in turn they lose an extra set of eyes and ears on the street.

The Council get the additional income over the cost of the deal with the firm employing the wardens (which, in being additional income, might help keep Council Tax down).

The deal is more likely to result in over-zealous enforcement - the commercial deal makes "targets" inevitable, where as that is not the case when they are employed by the Police Authority (in fact, because the Police have to pay for the cost of sending someone to court if the "offender" appeals, the warden is more likely to be leanient.).

No one wants to be caught doing something wrong, but I guess we all expect others to be punished.

Our area is still enforced by Police Authority Wardens (and I get on well with the warden who covers my street! - which is a narrow, cobbled lane). They have some pre-printed warning notices (ie NOT tickets) which they can leave in the first instance (and which went down well with me!!), and leave notices to motorists who leave valuables on view in their cars - I doubt there are any Commercial Wardens doing this....

If they actually film wardens committing these acts then action must be taken. If however there has been liberal editting cuts in the making of the film so we hear canteen bravado, then the film makers should be disciplined.

It is so easy to get someone to 'talk' about capers they may or may not have done, then edit out the question and make it sound like the person is actually boasting about what they have done.

There are rotten eggs in all walks of life but sadly we are only allowed to expose the establishment.

How I would love for an under cover documentary team to actually film a murderer, rapist or paedophile confess to the crime that they had been found not guilty of!!!!

Instead we see documentaries attacking the establishment, usually with mischievous unprovable allegations and hearsay (gossip) that cannot be refuted.

Having said that I fully support documentaries that clearly expose wrong doing by using evidence of a factual nature. (I am thinking of the racist Police recruits)

Regards,
John

...I was dropping my son off last saturday at a russian school in stratford e london and just as we roll up, I see the warden giving another punter the third degree. Much scambling for small change, the then heads over to us. Then he tells me I don't need to pay - as I am only dropping off people at the school?! 25 minutes later Mrs D still hasn't reappeared. The warden re-appeared several times and slapped some tickets on other cars, but never gave me one?! because he said I was with the car?! Seemed a genuine bloke, but I just could not believe what he was saying!
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom