Tried the MBOA forum, lets see if I get any luck here...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzer

Car
Disco and E250 Cab
<<Snip>>
Just recently bought a manual 230 SLK Komp, like the car, but I was wondering if any of you guys have modified yours and if so what can you do to them ?

I know the immediate answer is buy an AMG but they're too rich for my blood, I would just like slightly less refinement, a bit more noise and possibly a bit more grunt.

I am not looking for advice on how to wide boy my car , I am more interested in induction kits, straight through exhausts, etc - my last car was 380 bhp and whilst I wanted something a little(?) slower, the SLK seems a tad too tame - where is that 7th gear ???

I am sure this has all been answered before and that is why I asked you for your patience. Can't be bothered to re-type it all, fine, let me know what thread numbers I need to be reading.

Many thanks in advance

Stuart
<<Snip>>

You will get a better response here I dare say. MBOA has a small overlap of members here, but with all respect, it can be a little slow moving to say the least!

From an engine tuning perspective, this thread will give you a taster:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9090

A pulley to make your Supercharger spin faster and give more boost is the only big step in BHP you will find.

Alone will give you about 230BHP I think.

Thank god

GrahamC230K - thanks, this is the sort of stuff I needed - got two responses from the other forum, one telling me we don't mod because the parts are already good and its expensive, the other told me to try here (thanks Spike).

Cheers

Stuart

What? Modify your car? That's unthinkable !! We're not into any of that nonsense here !

<removes tongue from cheek>

WELCOME !! :bannana:

S.

Welcome - tell us more about your SLK then :bannana:

pity you didn't hang out for a 320 - I found the 230 lacked all the things you've mentioned which is why I went for the 320. Have played with the AMG and was very tempted - but reckon I'd lose my license far too quickly or kill myself trying :(

But if you can get your power up it'll make a big difference.

Sym - Got a bit of a shock on the other forum - thought I had asked a dirty question. :eek:

On the down side though, having read the link suggested above, it does seem that there is little for me to do with the SLKL230K apart from changing the size of the pulley, chipping it and get a zorst and that pretty much seems about it - total increase around 40 to 50 bhp :(

Cool with the pulley, cool with the ECU, but do any of you know what exhausts can be put onto the SLK ?

Cheers

Stuart

Would I be right to think you are in the US?

Shame if you are because I have a beautifully made Janspeed stainless exhaust for an SLK 230.
Wonderful build quality, two superb chrome tail pipes.
It's a lovely looking thing but a little too loud for my taste.

Mozzer said:
Cool with the pulley, cool with the ECU, but do any of you know what exhausts can be put onto the SLK ?

Speak to Brabus, (but take a blank chequebook) or maybe Powerflow? Don't think an exhuast will necessarily give you huge power gains though.

S.

Pammy I know what you mean about killing yourself - I had a 380BHP GTR Skyline before the SLK - doing 168 mph I figured I would end up being Mr Big's 81tch in prison, rather than getting a few points and a fine, if I ever got caught :eek: :D

So I downsized - nothing to do with the fact that in 2 years I have spent over £10k on a newish replacement gear box and a new head, plus all the usual servicing at garages nowhere near me :mad: . Subsequently found out the guy who bought my car is already looking for another gearbox and has spent moree money boosting her up to 1bar - just a matter of time methinks.

230K SLK 2000 model, silver, stock standard except it has some kind of brushed metal finish - sort of scalloped like an artex ceiling ???

Plus with the petrol prices what they are now along with a Ford Explorer I have for the dog, I was averaging about 14 miles to the gallon wherever I went !!!

Plodd - no in the UK - do I write with a US accent :crazy: !!! Tell me more about your beautiful zorst (pics, cost).

Sym, I haven't got a blank cheque book, which bank do you get them from :p Zorst won't help BHP, but will make a bit more noise - perhaps a switch to quieten it down when the hoods down ;)

Last edited:
The exhaust is almost brand new, apart from about 10 days it spent on my car.

Mid section and back box all in high grade stainless with 2 rectangular chromed tailpipes. It is a proper job with reinforcing pieces at most of the joints. Much better quality than the original.

It fits exactly as the MB exhaust with no problems.

I would be open to offers and could email you some pics.

It looks superb on the car but was just a little too rorty for my taste.

It appears to have been a prototype or similar as I bought it off ebay from a bloke who works there. They don't advertise SLK exhausts on their site so maybe it is a one off :rock:

Last edited:
pammy said:
Have played with the AMG and was very tempted - but reckon I'd lose my license far too quickly or kill myself trying :(

You can try mine at the GTG Pammy :eek:

You could give Nitrous a try,Bhp increases are from 25-150bhp for moderate sums of money.The more money thrown the more power given:devil: Can be used when needed most and doesn't put too much strain on the car as its not used all the time i would have thought.

GRAV888 said:
You can try mine at the GTG Pammy :eek:

:eek: not sure how to take that - you either want me to kill myself :( :( lose my licence :( but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :D and assume you mean let's have some fun :bannana: :bannana:

pammy said:
:eek: not sure how to take that - you either want me to kill myself :( :( lose my licence :( but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :D and assume you mean let's have some fun :bannana: :bannana:

Always up for some fun ;) ;) :p

OK story so far...

Bought Plodds' exhaust yesterday will fit it when the weather calms down a bit (no garage). Cheers T :)

Have ordered an induction kit from Ramair - Mercedes Performance quoted £188 - Ramair quoted £90 is this the sort of mark up I can expect with Mercs ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Next step is the pulley system. Mercedes Performance recommended to other upgrades (cooler and something else - forgotten - doh!!! anyone else know ?) Are these upgrades required or an upsell option ?

Buellwinkle I think I only need the pulley rather than the Mas kit if I have a November 2000 car is that right ? Is this a job that someone with a modicum of intelligence but no real spanner knowledge can do ?

Finally does anyone know what the delivery time will be from the States ?

Cheers

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom