Trim Identification?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
I'm after an OEM phone console, but obviously I need to know my trim colour before ordering.

Is there a quick way of telling from the ID plate under the bonnet?

Its a brilliant silver E240 Avantgarde with the black "flowery" cloth trim, if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Originally posted by GregE240
I'm after an OEM phone console, but obviously I need to know my trim colour before ordering.

Is there a quick way of telling from the ID plate under the bonnet?

Its a brilliant silver E240 Avantgarde with the black "flowery" cloth trim, if that helps.
Well what colour would you like? What colour is your dashboard, black? :) Just give your VIN to the parts dept when ordering and they can strip the interior colour code off the EPC.

thats a yank db, ignore it.... they never got a C180....

Re: Re: Re: Trim Identification?

Originally posted by GRAV888
Brian, I just entered my chassis number and it came up as a C200T:confused:
Any ideas?

No mate????

my VIN No gives me.

Year of Manufacture 2002
Chassis Code 211
Manufacturer Name Daimler-Benz
Model 026
Restraint Systems
Displacement
Horsepower
Fuel Gasoline ----------------------------------This should be Diesel???
Production Plant Sindelfingen
Country of Manufacture Germany
Production No. 208397

Which equally doesn't give enough info to help answer your question?
:crazy: Sorry.

Last edited:
That VIN decoder would be great if it actually told us something we didn't already know. My last car's VIN was
WDB 202 024 2 F 762562.

This tells us:
202 : w202 c-class
024 : 230k engine, therefore petrol/2295 displacement 4cyl
2 : right hand drive
F : Bremen factory
762562 : the individual number of the car - if this could be used to lookup the paint code and interior code somewhere it would be useful :)

Originally posted by Koolvin
thats a yank db, ignore it.... they never got a C180....

Thanks K.
Was just about to get on the phone and demand the correct engine !!!!!:devil: :devil:

Re: Re: Trim Identification?

Originally posted by Shude
Well what colour would you like? What colour is your dashboard, black? :) Just give your VIN to the parts dept when ordering and they can strip the interior colour code off the EPC.
Cheers Nick - my cloudy head (far too many G & Ts last night courtesy of the in laws) forgot that.

I'll find out.

Vin, seem to remember you recommend the console with the speaker, yeah? Saves mounting that hideous one you get with the Nokia car kit.

Thanks all, and special thanks to the security manager for the VIN thingy! ;)

Originally posted by GRAV888
Brian, I just entered my chassis number and it came up as a C200T:confused:
Any ideas?

Same here, a 2002 as well:)

Originally posted by GregE240

seem to remember you recommend the console with the speaker, yeah? Saves mounting that hideous one you get with the Nokia car kit.

Thanks all, and special thanks to the security manager for the VIN thingy! ;)

I have the console with speaker. Is good - (VERY loud!) but costs more ..... obviously. However you could still mount the nokia speaker out of sight if you wanted to, and I'm sure its just as good.

S.

GREG!!!

Before you get the OEM console......

Buy the one without the speaker , save a few quid and get a dashmount lead ;) sound quality is crystal clear with it :D

www.dashmount.co.uk

Would have to agree with Fuzzer here.

I have the console in my CLK without the speaker and have routed the sounds through the car stereo speakers - best way to go.

Got the console and the adaptor lead from Dashmount - about £75 if I remember correctly. Perfect colour match with my leather interior too.

:D

I'm not sure its any cheaper though, chaps.

For example, say we got the Dashmount route and I go the whole hog and buy CARK91 + Console + antenna + DashLead - thats gonna knock me for £245 quid.

If I go my own way, I could get the CARK91 for 76 plus delivery (lets call it £86), £100 for the OEM console with speaker and 15 odd for an aerial. Thats a saving of nearly 45 quid which will almost certainly go a long way to paying for installing the thing, or I can have a go myself. I end up with an OEM looking install which will mute the stereo when a call comes in and provides a speaker for the caller.

Its a tricky one, I agree.

ok, ill try.

Ive had both. The Console speaker is quite tinny and there is a lot of baffle on it and generally not as clear as the dashmount lead.

By all means get the OEM console , but , get the one without the speaker on it.( i think thats possible)

At the very least , get the dashmount lead for the setup.

With the dashmount lead all you do is take the plug out the back of the stereo , plug it into the lead , take one side of the connections and put back into the stereo and the other ends go into the cark 91.

Its really really easy. the only thing you need to do is connect two inline fuses which the spades are already there and connect up the correct lead on the back of your stereo for the radio mute.

Its better. I also recomend the windscreen mount antenna that dashmount do as well.

Any questions just ask.

Did you install it yourself, Jason?

Was it easy enough? How does the console connect to the existing centre console?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Greg

I've installed the console myself - not a big deal - comes with instructions.

4 screws in the dash to remove the wood / carbon fascia, and it hooks underneath, with an additional screw to hold it in place at the back. (I'm assuming the E class console is the same shape as the C Class - jason can advise) ... there are also instructions on here somewhere for where to hide the "brain" unit of the nokia kit - also supplied by jason ... requires a bit more taking apart, but worth it !

Will find the link....

S.

Thanks chaps.

I think the dash on the E Class is slightly different to that of the C - would I need t o remove the fascia? If so, where are the screws?

I'm probably going to hide the Nokia " Brain" in the console itself, assuming it will fit. Then all I need do is run the DashLead into the stereo aperture at the back and the antenna to the windscreen.

Thanks in advance once agaun,

Greg.

If you get the console without speaker, then the brain should fit inside fine... (unless the E class console is smaller) ... mine is with speaker, so it was a VERY tight fit - much better where I have located it now behind the footwell panel.

Location of e class screws should be shown on instructions that come with the console - having never dismantled an e-class dash I couldn't be certain, but I would expect 2 at the top of the radio aperture, (once you have removed the stereo) ,and two at the bottom of the panel, above the ashtray, although I believe the E class ashtray is higher up.

S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom