Trim Quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
Went to wash my car today and I noticed the silver on the bumber trim is coming off.

I wasn't impressed to say the least, especially given the age of the car! Makes the car look tatty from the front.

bumper1.JPG

bumper2.JPG

Last edited:
That looks really bad. I am assuming you will be able to get the trim replaced under warranty, but that is not the point.

Robbo

What is the trim material under the flaking chrome , is it chrome on plastic or chrome on metal?

I cant believe the photo, though :eek: .

Its just plastic I believe with some silver paint over!

I'll have to pop it to the dealers, but its quite a pain for me to get to them during normal hours.

Originally posted by RichardM
Its just plastic I believe with some silver paint over!
Cheapo "chromated" plastic, your grill prolly has the same thing on it. Older cars had real chrome on them! Just another cost-cutting exercise to the obvious detriment of the vehicle's quality. :(

Thats shocking....

Do you use a powerwasher or just a normal hosepipe?

Powerwasher, although its a very cheap not very powerfull one!

Could be part of the problem mate?:confused:

You don't seem to have much luck with your machine do you?:confused:

Cheap ones can still pump out 1500PSi, enough to take paint and skin off.:mad:

I have a friend who runs a bodyshop, he says no end of damage is caused by pressure washers they can strip or damage paint, lacquer, trim, he even had a car in where the customer had blown a hole through the tyre wall with one.:crazy:

Don't want to preach but if you're going to use a pressure washer use it from a safe distance or preferably not at all.

But all the same it shouldn't happen to any make of car yet alone a Merc.:confused:

I won't use an auto-washer for similar reasons. On my first, 190E which was black, I put it through a car-wash and it produced small swirl marks all over the bonnet and roof. Fortunately my friendly Dealer repolished it for me.:eek: :eek:

I'd have thought a car wash was more to do with the brushes scratching, I'd never take mine through a car wash thats for sure!

I had a Lexus before this Merc (and a Vectra before that) both of which I jet washed most weekends for the 3 years of ownership without a single problem. I do keep the nozzle at a distance.

I was only just saying , ive nackered trim before with a powerwasher on out W210... :D

I dunno how it happened ???? OK sir , we will replace it under warranty

hehe

As has been said elsewhere, the new E Class was supposed to resolve the Quality problems of the past.:confused:

They obviously haven't completely won yet.:crazy:

I'm still waiting to get mine booked in, took it in the next day after the photo's were taken, they called me yesterday to say MB have approved the work and they'll now order the parts. Guess that will be another couple of weeks.

Richard,

Let us know how you get on as mine has exactly the same problem but not as severe as yours.

I had no problems getting the trim changed by the dealer, when I took it in they said they would phone back that day after speaking to MB, three weeks later I got a call to book it in!

Its really easy to fix that. The two parts , Chrome trim and bumper trim come seperately.

The chrome trim is about £20 and the bumper trim about £30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom