Trip computer mpg accuracy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Troon

MB Enthusiast
Car
A big one
Here are my findings after seven months and over 13k miles. At each re-fuelling, which tends to be from nearly empty to completely full, I record the "From reset" mpg figure and reset the computer.

On average, the computer reads about 2mpg better than actual.

Attachments

• fe.png
    fe.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 154
Try a tuning chip box..you should see a 30% better readout to give you that warm fuzzy feeling...

On mine the trip reads almost exactly 10% high, which made me at first think it had been chipped.

I've tracked my economy over 8.5k miles since new. The OBC shows 56.5mpg against 52.4 actual so 7-8% optimistic.

I think its a bit of a lottery with these things and depends on the type of mileage driven, my Volvo V70 which covers 80% motorway work is about 1% optimistic which I think is brilliant. SWMBO Volvo C30 with same engine and electronics but mainly country road/town commute is optimistic by about 8%

At the end of the day its only a guide and the true reading can only be brim to brim

Try a tuning chip box..you should see a 30% better readout to give you that warm fuzzy feeling...
I did, and got 74.8 mpg readout from my Rover 75 diesel on a motorway run from Nottm to Luton............

I did, and got 74.8 mpg readout from my Rover 75 diesel on a motorway run from Nottm to Luton............

I bet you felt warm and fuzzy that day. Just don't look at the fuel gauge...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom