Trip meter reading very high

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Margaret

Car
E220d premium estate
Hi all. Collected my one year old E220 Estate yesterday and all looks good. Just one issue. The trip meter which is only accessible using the steering wheel buttons is reading over 111000 miles. The car only has just over 6000 miles done - demo model from a main dealer. I have tried resetting it several times and while it goes back to zero on one of the menus it wouldn't on the tiny short cut view visible when using flat flick type button on the steering wheel( when it flicks between radio, sat nav etc). They said they changed the battery before releasing the car. Could this be causing a gremlin ?

Personally I would go back to the dealer and get them to sort it.
It's possible it's reading 11000 Kilometers and needs to be set back to miles.

Are you sure there isn’t a decimal point in there?

Are you sure it hasn't been ' clocked ' :eek:

You can't trust anyone these days :rolleyes:

Oops! Just realised its OP is Margaret. Sorry M, after your last failed purchase I do not want you to start worrying again. Hopefully just a little electronic glitch that the dealer wil sort out for you. :)

11,100km = 6897 miles, does that equate with yours?

I will get the exact numbers and see if it converts. Odd that it's not going back to zero when I press reset. I don't think it's been clocked. The car looks and feels like a new car. Paintwork perfect etc Think it's a gremlin. Was sold by Daimler run dealership. Car was registered to them. Serviced in Feb with only slightly lower mileage.

I will get the exact numbers and see if it converts. Odd that it's not going back to zero when I press reset. I don't think it's been clocked. The car looks and feels like a new car. Paintwork perfect etc Think it's a gremlin. Was sold by Daimler run dealership. Car was registered to them. Serviced in Feb with only slightly lower mileage.
You could spend a few happy hours with the owner's manual. It's all in there if you search hard enough.

If it's the actual mileage the car has done, then it won't reset! If it did you'd have no way of ever knowing how many miles the car had done!

No it doesn't convert. The small trip meter does not show the units. Wont tackle the owner manual tonight. Been too long a day. Just attached a pic sorry it's a bit blurry.

Attachments

• 20200731_210329.jpg
    20200731_210329.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Ok. The 0.0 is the trip meter
Does the 111984 actually increase when you drive? Or is it just a logo to show you are on that menu?
Richard

Yes, the 111984 is an icon illustrating what "Trip" is, in the same way as the bonnet with rays coming out of it is supposed to illustrate "Assistance".

It's basically a static menu icon like the others which scroll left or right when you move them with your finger on the steering wheel button.

Jdrrco you are correct. It doesn't move. It's just an icon. Wonder why they bothered designing it like that. Thank you !

Just another question. Just did an hour's drive. Turned off the engine and opened driver's door. Could feel a rush of hot air coming from under side of the car. Could also hear something making a humming sound under the bonnet even though engine switched off. Opened bonnet and the fan in front of the engine continued to run for about 4 mins after turning off the engine. Temp on coolant looks ok. Is this also normal ? No errors on dash.

Last edited:
It's perfectly normal and indeed desirable. The fan is dissipating excess heat from the engine block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom