Trip to Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey guys :thumb:
Sorry for my late of presence here over the last few days.
Tuesday was a day of recovery as I was completely knackered.
Took Tuesday off so I pretty much just chilled.

I will sort out my pictures either tonight or tomorrow.
Sorry for not sorting them sooner but I've been catching up with a pile of work that was waiting for me on my office desk for the last couple of days and have been too tired in the evenings to rifle through pictures.

The trip was great.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Despite the weather on the way back, I'm glad I went - and also glad I took my car.
Car ran well. It's the first time the car has been on such a prolonged journey.
I think it worked out to the best part of 12hrs each way, including stops.
Really was good driving in convoy.
All of our cars attracted a lot of attention. Even from the police! :D

We were hoping to do a lap of the Ring, but it was not to be.
Never mind. There's always next time.

The motorways in Germany are sooooo much better than over here.
Long, wide and smooth.
You can see for miles ahead. There are some proper drag race sections! :devil:
One very funny, surreal moment was being cut up but a very irate looking Patrick Moore in a small red banger when we were exiting a motorway.
Man, that guy took a serious disliking to us :dk: lol

We all arrived safe and sound at the Hotel, which was very comfortable and accommodating.

The trip to the AMG factory was pleasant and it is amazing how such a heavyweight tuning/ performance company is so unassumingly nestled in a small sleepy town in the middle of nowhere.

They looked after us at the factory and our tour guide was both amusing and informative.
Fascinating place.

I had the opportunity to finally ask what the hell the black box is that sits on the M156 engine in between the intakes!

To my amusement and surprise.. several of the guys didn't seem to know! :eek::D

They called over one of the V8 engine builders who said that it is there to help reduce air intake noise. Someone did actually suggest this to me a while ago but it was nice to get a definitive answer from AMG.. although they didn't really seem 100% sure. :dk:
I explained that my engine did not have this black box, to which they replied "well, it means your engine is louder than the others". lol :rolleyes:

While there, I had arranged for AMG to look over my car, mainly to try and identify any issues with the transmission.
Long story short, there are times when I notice the revs drop away when down shifting (say from 7th to 6th) when cruising with partial, minimal throttle. Doesn't happen all the time but it has been doing it for the last couple of weeks on and off.

They took my car into the workshop, where I noticed the guys in there walking over to see a very clean example of a 7 year old CLK63.

They had the car for the duration of our tour.

Volker, the guy who liaised with myself and the workshop guys was very helpful.. even of he did look scary as hell! :eek::D

He invited me into the workshop to chat to the tech.

In short, he explained that the Crankcase Breather Valve was faulty and was leaking air. He strongly believed this to be the cause of the drop in revs under very low throttle.
He demonstrated a symptom.. opened the bonnet, started the engine, let it run for a moment and then switched it off. A second or two later you could hear a hiss as crankcase pressure escaped passed the valve.

He assured me it was not critical and that the car would be fine to drive.
The car went like stink and I was very impressed with it for the duration of the trip.

Shame about the weather on the way back though.
All the way from Luxembourg to france, it was hammering it down.
Traffic jams and spray - the whole way :doh:
Needless to say, the car was a mess.
I will be spending a loooooong time getting it back to normal.
I've already made a start.

Car is going into MB today to have the valve replaced.
Also need a new drivers fog light as it was subjected to a stone impact which cracked it.
Also getting the drivers wing mirror replaced as it is not dimming.
I knew this before the trip and MB have ordered the new glass.
They will also be changing my sat nav antenna.

Still can't believe I drove the whole way with no map and no satnav.
Really was driving blind and would have been screwed if I got lost :crazy:

There is lots more I could add but I am writing this while trying to get work done :crazy:
I'm sure we will all recall moments in due course.

I'll sort my pictures out soon.

:thumb:

A few more pics of the convoy in motion. Sorry about quality.

Last edited:
And another with more typical weather condition!!:crazy:

Attachments

• IMG_0901 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0901 - Copy.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 46
Great write ups fellas.

Nice to see that the engine builders exist - despite the forum disbelievers :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Rashman, my good man. Not a drop of water in nearly 7 years, then a bloody storm for hours? What's going on. Was there no alternative route available?

Rashman, my good man. Not a drop of water in nearly 7 years, then a bloody storm for hours? What's going on. Was there no alternative route available?

Well, you know me Alex, all or nothing, eh! lol

Alternative route?.. not really. I don't think any of us fancied tackling the centre of France or detouring around the bottom of France.

I think the rain was pretty widespread so there was no escaping it.

Well, you know me Alex, all or nothing, eh! lol

Alternative route?.. not really. I don't think any of us fancied tackling the centre of France or detouring around the bottom of France.

I think the rain was pretty widespread so there was no escaping it.

Well exactly. Knowing you I would expect you dragging everyone through rural France. Pretty much like reversing back in a tunnel with a few mm of water on a TRAX day. LOL

Glad you enjoyed the trip. I wish I was part of it.

Well exactly. Knowing you I would expect you dragging everyone through rural France. Pretty much like reversing back in a tunnel with a few mm of water on a TRAX day. LOL

Glad you enjoyed the trip. I wish I was part of it.

:D

Probably would have been more hassle than it's worth.
Plus I didn't have a working sat nav so I would have been royally screwed if I got lost! :crazy:

Apart from the weather on the return journey, it was a great trip.
Colin was intent on blasting back to the tunnel on the way back.
Through monumental spray, it was probably ill advised.
But I had no choice but to keep the hammer down in tow - as I didn't have sat nav and Colin was the only one with knowledge and exact directions :crazy:

Having said this, I seemed to have escaped picking up an stone chips at all.
I have 2 small ones on the bonnet and a graze on the windscreen but that's it as far as I can see.
Yes, I have a cracked fog light lense but that's a simple swap-out job.

Another hair raising moment was when we got to a junction on the way to the AMG factory.
Colin was leading and stopped at a junction in the right lane to turn left.
The Don decided to adopt the left lane and turned left... on the wrong side of the junction :crazy:
Closely following The Don, I followed suit as I was now commited!
Thankfully, nothing was approaching :crazy:
It seemed The Don momentarily believed we were back in the UK :rolleyes:

:D

Another hair raising moment was when we got to a junction on the way to the AMG factory.
Colin was leading and stopped at a junction in the right lane to turn left.
The Don decided to adopt the left lane and turned left... on the wrong side of the junction :crazy:
Closely following The Don, I followed suit as I was now commited!
Thankfully, nothing was approaching :crazy:
It seemed The Don momentarily believed we were back in the UK :rolleyes:

I did that in the USA once!! Scary when half way across a multilane road you realise where you are and hastily change to go straight ahead!! :crazy::wallbash:

Few pics off my phone until I sort through my other ones..

Few cars in the nurburgring main building and a few of the cars located in a showroom/ store room at the hotel.
Pretty crazy.. They had "cabinets" for cars which were either for sale or being stored for their owners.

Looks like my iPhone will only allow me to upload one picture at a time..:doh:

Last edited:

Last edited:
The lady sitting down (presumably the owner) wore matching orange clothing and even had an orange fake tan to further match! lol

Last edited:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom