Trip to Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Depends why it was 'lifted in the first place. Let's say someone wants, say, a mutimeter, so they just swipe one of the shelves. Then six months later it stops working. Far easier to get Halfords to just replace it than try to steal another one. Hence the need to check that what they're replacing was orignally paid for.

The lifetime guarantee applies to a range of their tools...not multimeters.

ordered some stuff from faffords last year; reserved online to pick up in store...

drove in on the prescribed day, to be told that the items in question were not available... and got the district impression they couldn't be bothered about how i felt at a wasted 40 mile round trip.
the manager looked bored when i asked him why they hadn't contacted me on my supplied mobile number, to advise me that the items would not be available... and asked me "so what do you want me to do"?

to which i asked if they could possible post the items to my home address to save me another wasted trip (at no postage cost to me) or else offer me a token discount... he looked at me in disdain and told me that "wasn't going to happen".

i firmly believe in voting with my feet... no prizes for guessing where i don't do my shopping anymore. :)

Stop being picky - I chose multimeters as an example, and presumably they have a one year guarantee so the same principle applies.

If something has a one year guarantee, then a receipt would be expected...but why for a lifetime guarantee?

Does anyone actually shoplift car batteries....?

They will have wanted a receipt for the Battery, as it isn't unheard of for people to "aquire" old shot batteries from scrappies etc and take them back and try and get them swapped out for a new one.

Don't forget that the receipts are printed on heat sensitive so the date and items listed can easily be lost if left in a warm place ;)

I only go in there with my mate who has a trade card. I find their prices inflated and staff clueless. An example....a pair of rear numberplate bulbs about £3.50 to the public and 70p with the trade card! Even with the trade card you can usually just walk into a decent trade motor factors and get the products at a comparable or cheaper price.

Their tools and tool cabinets aren't bad though, especially when they have their offers on.

Why does every firm 'exposed' in this way trot out the same lame PR line (which only translates as "La la la - I'm not listening" anyway)?

You forgot to mention that their PR line will always start with "We take matters like this very seriously......."

I'm generally a fan of Halfords, Leek and Horsham stores always have what I want, prices are good, lots of special offers,mquite a good supermarket experience really.
But that's what Halfords is, most of the staff would be working at Morrisons if it paid 10p an hour more.

The only items I've bought from them recently are their tools. For anything else it's much better of going else where.

Let's say someone wants, say, a mutimeter, so they just swipe one of the shelves. Then six months later it stops working. Far easier to get Halfords to just replace it than try to steal another one. Hence the need to check that what they're replacing was orignally paid for.

Yes, otherwise they run the risk of having two multimeters stolen! At least if the faulty one is handed back, it gets sent back to Head Office (supposedly) and is looked at.

Generally, their own brand products do improve over time, and when returns come back with the same faults it does get looked at.

If they're going to be funny about exchanging/swopping without a receipt, then just buy another new item of the same, keeping the receipt this time, then return the faulty item with that receipt to get your money back.

The only items I've bought from them recently are their tools. For anything else it's much better of going else where.
Where would you go for a mixed basket of car shampoo, mobile oil, good quality chamois letter, polishing cloth, 1 litre of coolant and a map?

Detailing world or cleanyourcar.co.uk, ECP or MotorWorld and WHSmiths

I think I'll carry on supporting my local convenience store rather than use on-line retailers or drive a minimum of 30 minutes to ECP.

I think I'll carry on supporting my local convenience store rather than use on-line retailers or drive a minimum of 30 minutes to ECP.

Not unreasonable approach, although sadly Halfords are a good 30 minutes drive away from me - I only go there when I need something same day - e.g. dead battery.

There are no local outlets to support in central London - which is why i am happy that online ordering works for me very well.

There is a very big halfords in Battersea, generally pretty good, their ICE guy knows his stuff.

If you think their service is shocking with cars, wait till you see how they put a bike together

Not unreasonable approach, although sadly Halfords are a good 30 minutes drive away from me - I only go there when I need something same day - e.g. dead battery.

There are no local outlets to support in central London - which is why i am happy that online ordering works for me very well.
Going slightly OT today I've tried using Dell on line, PC World online and a personal visit and I still haven't managed to spend my £600 budget on a laptop.
Retail generally is pretty poor.

My (secondhand) shop is 300 yards up the road from Halfords and its a proven fact that oiks will steal anything , 8 man tent with built in cooking facilities that takes 2 scumbags to carry, 20 quid to you Guv !!

My impression is that they are used to dealing with dishonest and rude customers, and find it difficult to tune-down their manner when approached by someone who is patient and accommodating.

I had to speak to a person from my local council yesterday about council tax. You could see this very demeanor. They did improve when they realised I wasn't one of the usual punters though.

m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom