tripped out gatso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As already mentioned, a standard Gatso on the other side of the road will occasionally flash as you approach (it has happened to me). If a camera flashes towards you you know it's not meant for you. Front-facing cameras don't use visible flash as it would potentially blind the driver at night, they use infra-red.

As already mentioned, a standard Gatso on the other side of the road will occasionally flash as you approach (it has happened to me). If a camera flashes towards you you know it's not meant for you. Front-facing cameras don't use visible flash as it would potentially blind the driver at night, they use infra-red.

I know we have had this debate before, but I can confirm that there IS a flash, that it is not infra red (beyond the range of vision) and that you know the camera has been triggered. But it is not blinding.

:)

it flashed twice but i was on the opisite side of the road and then i traveled back through it over the calibration lines and it didnt go off

also the calibration markings are only on the side of the road in which the camera faces down not the side i was traveling down so there would be no evidence and surly the camera focus's on the calibration lines on the road?

i was just flashed by a gatso that was on the other side of the road i wasnt speeding and all the camera would have got is a picture of some clear strech of road with an unobstructed view of the calibration lines. Is this normal? Or is the camera just in need of repair?

They also respond to high amounts of EMR.

EMR? why is that

im pretty certian that the flash was not for me as there is 2 lanes between me and the camera. and no calibration lines or anything

Electro Magnetic Radiation (I think)............
Its a field surrounding all working electronic items. The more powerful the item, the bigger the field. With something like a car, the field would be small. But with something big like a hydro-electric generator, the field would be much larger.
However, I cant see how this would affect a Gatso camera. Speed detection and operation is by radar using the Doppler principle. It hasn't got anything to do with EMR or EMF.

I thought all gatsos had to flash twice to get two pictures so they can determinehow far through the calibration marks the car has travelled?

Gatsos detect the vehicle aproaching by two radar sensors that face the traffic flow. You can tell if a camera is active if the sensor shutters are open.

Truvelos have binocular vision and don't require calibration lines. To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver. These rely on 3 white-lines in the road, painted just before the camera, and are triggered by strips in the road, used to gain the vehicles speed.

SPECS are the meanest tool, being average speed detectors using ANPR working day and night with no limit to the number of cars it can spot.

Not so. It's about 60,000 an hour I believe...:D

To be truely pedantic, and assuming your figure is accurate, then the the answer is an emphatic yes.
If it 60,000 and hour, then that equates out to around 16 to 17 PER SECOND. I wont even bother working out the gaps at given speeds, suffice to say that as far as is PRACTICAL, THERE IS NO LIMIT.

Truvelos have binocular vision and don't require calibration lines. To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver. These rely on 3 white-lines in the road, painted just before the camera, and are triggered by strips in the road, used to gain the vehicles speed

I discovered that the 'infrared flash' is an urban myth - Truvelo uses an ordinary flash with a magenta (purple) filter - see above. This is visible, but does not dazzle as a white flash would. Speed is calculated from the vehicle tyres passing over sensors in the road.

I went through a camera yesterday, local, rear facing, on my side of the road. I was doing 28 in a 30 zone. On cruise control. Camera flashed twice. No other vehicles around. Not sure whats going on with these things. I cannot believe it. In fact, they make me sick.

I have already been done this year once ( I was guilty) but for this I have to go on a speed awareness course in a few weeks.

I went through a camera yesterday, local, rear facing, on my side of the road. I was doing 28 in a 30 zone. On cruise control. Camera flashed twice.

Assuming your speedo is accurate, you should be OK then. The two pictures will show (based on the road markings) that you weren't actually speeding.

I have already been done this year once ( I was guilty) but for this I have to go on a speed awareness course in a few weeks.

What did you think of the course - and where did you do it?

good luck with the course but yea gatsos suck a$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom