Trolley jack advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rashman

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK
Hey guys,

Does a trolley jack have a life span, so to speak?
Do they need servicing or parts replaced?

If so, is it after a set period of time or is it after a certain amount of useage?

I'm thinking rubber seals etc.

I have a Clarkes trolley jack (2 or 3 tonne, I think it is).
Bloody great thing and pretty heavy duty.

I noticed that the last time I used it, a small drop of oil fell onto the ground just under it.
I haven't had a chance to investigate, but I'm thinking a seal is perishing maybe?

It's not used at all heavily.
Just to change wheels for MOT & Servicing and swapping wheels before and after winter.

Crucially, is it safe to continue using?

Stop using it if is leaking.

They last forever if they are good quality. I get mine inspected every 6 months. Replaced every 3 years, just to be safe.
The type you have bought is at the lower end of the quality scale. If you want a good long lasting safe Jack, buy a Blue Point one fron Snap-On.

Stop using it if is leaking.

They last forever if they are good quality. I get mine inspected every 6 months. Replaced every 3 years, just to be safe.
The type you have bought is at the lower end of the quality scale. If you want a good long lasting safe Jack, buy a Blue Point one fron Snap-On.

Thanks for your reply, Olly :thumb:

Yes, I was a little concerned about it loosing pressure and deflating while in operation.

I'll nip out and get another one...

Cheers bud.

:thumb:

Had my trolly jack since 1972 and have done norhing to it. Always use axel stands or blocks of wood.

Had my trolly jack since 1972 and have done norhing to it. Always use axel stands or blocks of wood.

Hey bud :thumb:

Yeah, I hear you.
I had a good look at the underside of my jack yesterday lunch time and found that the cylinder was leaking oil pretty badly.
The drips that I had noticed were slowly falling off the puddle that had formed on cylinder.

Pretty disappointed to find this as the jack is only used to swap wheels for servicing, MOT's and before/ after winter.

Had the jack for around 6 years and it's always in the corner of my garage.

I thought that jacks lasted for ever.
Even the guys at machine mart were surprised as they sell loads of them to workshops who use them heavily.

He did suggest getting it repaired but with thing like this, I was happy to just replace it.
Shame really as it still looks brand new.

A few of my friends have those blue anodised, low-rise, ali jacks and they are pretty popular.
So I grabbed one of those.
Good jack so far.

And yes, I always use chocks and axle stands.

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom