Trolley jacks and axle stands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Guys,
Quick question about jacking points.

If I want to place axle stands on the rubber supports behind the front wheels, where do I place the saddle of the trolley jack in order to lift the car?

I want to raise the front of my W202.

Thanks all,
shr.

Guys,
Quick question about jacking points.

If I want to place axle stands on the rubber supports behind the front wheels, where do I place the saddle of the trolley jack in order to lift the car?

I want to raise the front of my W202.

Thanks all,
shr.

Why not use the side lift car jack, you can then use a round top stand under the round rubber lift point

Why not use the side lift car jack, you can then use a round top stand under the round rubber lift point

OK will give that a try.
These are the stands I'll be using:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-64431-Ratchet-Style-Stands/dp/B0001K9Z50/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=diytools&qid=1204836952&sr=8-1

I've bought a 2 tonne trolley jack from Helfrauds. If I was to use this to lift the car, do I have to put the saddle on the rubber piece? Or can it go just next to the rubber piece, leaving that free for the stands?

OK will give that a try.
These are the stands I'll be using:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9Z50/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I've bought a 2 tonne trolley jack from Helfrauds. If I was to use this to lift the car, do I have to put the saddle on the rubber piece? Or can it go just next to the rubber piece, leaving that free for the stands?

If you were to lift the car with the trolley jack,, then you could leave it there and put the axle stand under the chassis member or bottom wishbone not forgetting that this moves a little if you lower the jack.

You cant lift it any where else and not further along the sill

Best place to jack up your car is on the front cross member just in front of the steering geometry. Once lifted then place your axle stands under the rubber feet on the sills. Be careful as the car will move backwards as you lower it. Best to have someone watch as you lower the jack.

Best place to jack up your car is on the front cross member just in front of the steering geometry. Once lifted then place your axle stands under the rubber feet on the sills. Be careful as the car will move backwards as you lower it. Best to have someone watch as you lower the jack.

Can he do this with a plastic under tray on

Not entirely sure what the cross member bit looks like.
Is it possible to show me on the russian EPC site?

And like Malcolm say, will I need to remove the plastic covering before I can access the cross member?

Not entirely sure what the cross member bit looks like.
Is it possible to show me on the russian EPC site?

And like Malcolm say, will I need to remove the plastic covering before I can access the cross member?

Which one of your 2 cars Sir

Its normally the pressed steel double thickness plate that goes across the the chassis members just behind the steering rods
In front of the steering rods. Its what the plastic under tray screws onto at the rear. Its the only big bit of metal that goes across the chassis at the back of the engine. You can't miss it.

In front of the steering rods. Its what the plastic under tray screws onto at the rear. Its the only big bit of metal that goes across the chassis at the back of the engine. You can't miss it.

I was laying the other way round :D:D

OK I'll have a look in the morning.

Ian, you mentioned jacking the car up at this cross member point, but would it be easier/possible to jack the car at the rubber lift and put the axle stands under the cross member instead? (i.e. opposite way round to what you said)

I'm just thinking it would be difficult to get the trolley exactly where you're talking of.

OK I'll have a look in the morning.

Ian, you mentioned jacking the car up at this cross member point, but would it be easier/possible to jack the car at the rubber lift and put the axle stands under the cross member instead? (i.e. opposite way round to what you said)

I'm just thinking it would be difficult to get the trolley exactly where you're talking of.
The father apart your axle stands the more stable your working platform. Plus having them on that cross member would restrict your access to car parts. They would get in your way.

Positioning the trolley jack is quite easy. If you kneel at the front of the car and push the jack under it you will see where to jack up from. Hard to explain in words here but easy when you have a car in front of you.

Its the only big bit of metal that goes across the chassis at the back of the engine. You can't miss it.

When you say across the chassis, do you mean from left to right of the car, or front to back?

From left to right.

D'OH !!!
I was hoping you were gonna say front to back, cos then I think I might've seen what you're reffering to.

Never mind, I'll have a look in the morning. Hopefully it will be much clearer.
I may just do it the way Malcolm suggested and use the MB jack from the boot.

I haven't taken the Helfrauds trolley jack out of the box yet, so might just get my money back on it, if I can get away with using the MB jack.

BTW, all this is so I can get under the car to replace the steering damper!!! I think (from what you're saying) the cross member is just behind (in front) of the damper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom