Trolly jacks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimjamiejames

Car
S211 e350, daimler sovereign custom project
Can anyone recommend a decent trolly jack, not as heavy duty as a commercial garage one but something reliable, substantial and with a good amount of lift. Ta

It depends on the car you will be using it on. I discovered the Halfords 2.5 ton jack I had been using for years on many cars was useless on my 2006 C55 because it did not go low enough to get under a 14 year old estate car ! It also did not have the reach to get to the centre jacking point underneath the engine.

How strong are you ? Aluminium sport jacks are light(er) but expensive compared to all steel ones. Give us a bit more detail on your individual needs and you will soon get a whole lot of advice . :thumb:

Remember , nothing is ever simple on here, 😊

SGS Engineering seem to do some nice ones. i was going to buy one but then bought a 1.25tonne Sealey sport jack (I swapped it with the 1.5t version I bought for my Dads Westfield). To be honest the 1.5t Sealey I would say is at its limit lifting the S212 as it does seem to twist a little so if buying again I’d look at one of the SGS non aly ones.

Thanks Pete,

Currently in Fleet is an s211 e350, saab 900 and daimler sovereign. Hopefully I'll be adding an e63 estate this year and what ever else we pick up along the way lol.

I've been making do with a low to mid range Clarke for a few years, I think its maybe 1. 5 or 2 tons, can't remember. It has poor reach and generally low quality.

Light as possible would be good (without compromising strength or longevity) because it will get moved around between 2 workshop/garages, drive, street, car boot to go help out family/friends etc

Ballpark budget circa 150 quid maybe dunno if that's reasonable

Bought some British-made SGS Engineering hatch struts for the Suzuki, quality-wise they are OK, but definitely not as well-made as the original German Stabilus struts that came with the car. Just saying..........

PS - then again, the SGS Engineering struts were a third of the cost of the Stabilus.

I have had one of these for over a decade. Solid Jack, has no problem picking up a Rolls Royce so it should be able to handle just about any MB.

As alabbasi suggested Costco's Arcan is really good. Smooth action and even lifts a ML with ease given height needs. The puck is a good size and sits across the jack points of the E class.

This jack is also is weighted so that it can be carried with one hand/arm.

Got my trolly jack from Halfords 1972/3 and have the spare piston seals that came with it, Done nothing to it and its till works, like most DIY equipment it spends 99.99 % doing nothing. Do NOT trust a trolly jack if you are working under the car have a backup plan.

Looks like the Costco job is the one to go for, shame you have to pay for membership but still a decent deal.

Looks like the Costco job is the one to go for, shame you have to pay for membership but still a decent deal.

SGS item(s) are good - used them. But the Costco jack is better.

In fact you may be surprised at some of the good deals at Costco for "quality" vehicle items ranging from AdBlue to toolchests.

Can anyone recommend a decent trolly jack, not as heavy duty as a commercial garage one but something reliable, substantial and with a good amount of lift. Ta
SGS garage equipment do a good 2.5t low access jack for £125 they also do a 3t around about the same price,very fast delivery,good quality kit.

Thanks for all the replies, good to hear what everyone is using

I don't slag off companies easily but having had experience of SGS they wont get my business again.
The £119 low level trolley jack gave out. They had me try this and that until the eBay protection had expired. Then they had no interest. I shouldn't have trusted them to be conscientious.

A Sealey for little more is far superior.

I have a Sealey 3 tonne trolley jack. It is solid and strong but it is heavy too.
Whichever you buy I would strongly suggest that you buy a Jack pad that fits into the jacking point on your Merc and into the cup of the Jack. It will protect your car and make it much more secure on the Jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom