Trouble finding anyone willing to rebuild a 722.5.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

voycey

Car
current: R129, w140. Past: 300ce, 300e and e220 w124's w123 coupe, 2x 190E's, 2x 560 sec's
Hi everyone. The 'feared' 722.5 transmission in my 94 w140 has let go. It was showing signs of wear, occasional reluctant reverse... but after breaking a driveshaft upon hard acceleration it seems its finished it off ( goes into D or R but cant shift up at all, checked the kickdown switch, voltage to solenoid, vac lines, oil etc. seems the governor may be at fault) I've phoned around places in the west mids area but only one was willing to even look at it and said they could not gurantee any work on the 722.5. I could throw a used trans in it but its a lot of effort for another old trans that could very well be worn out too. Its a good car with updated harnesses, throttle body recent headgasket etc that would be a shame to give up on. Any recommendations on anyone who could rebuild the 722.5 would be welcome.

Hi everyone. The 'feared' 722.5 transmission in my 94 w140 has let go. It was showing signs of wear, occasional reluctant reverse... but after breaking a driveshaft upon hard acceleration it seems its finished it off ( goes into D or R but cant shift up at all, checked the kickdown switch, voltage to solenoid, vac lines, oil etc. seems the governor may be at fault) I've phoned around places in the west mids area but only one was willing to even look at it and said they could not gurantee any work on the 722.5. I could throw a used trans in it but its a lot of effort for another old trans that could very well be worn out too. Its a good car with updated harnesses, throttle body recent headgasket etc that would be a shame to give up on. Any recommendations on anyone who could rebuild the 722.5 would be welcome.
Mackie Transmissions in Glasgow. They did mine 3 years ago and all's well.

The box was sent to them from PCS in Horndean who did the main work on the car.

Or if you fancy a couple of days in Glasgow, make the arrangements, drive up there and, I'm pretty sure, they'll have it out and in pretty quickly and you'll be on your way.

RayH

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Is the governor located at the rear of the gearbox (close to the output shaft)? I know some boxes have them there. If so, possibly accessible by removing the rear cover (if there is one) and while still in the car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom