Trouble setting Linksys router up??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzComander

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Avantgarde Estate
Thanks to the very kind donation of a Linksys wireless router form Mozzer, we are now trying to set it up.

Unfortunatly, the instructions to do this do not seem to work on my computer, it does not recognise the router??

The model number is WAG54G.

When I connect the phone line and the Ethernet cable, I briefly see a 10MB network connection in the bottom right of the screen, but then it disapears. Cant find it in the network connections either.

My current setup is a tiscali broadband modem, which connects to the PC with a USB cable.

Anybody cast any light on this??

Cheers,

could be varies things,

1) first look for the reset switch on router, normally little hole you can put a needle in and hold for 5-10sec whilst on

2) goto linksys website and download manual, or look on bottom, may have the loging details there,

3) check your ip settings on pc, buy right clicking on my network places and make sure tcp/ip are set to defaults.

4) when found login details, put your isp username/password in and should work

Have done that, and tried going through the manual.

I have powered down the PC, linked the router up and turned on the PC. In the destructions it then tells you to open your browser and type into the address bar http://192.168.1.1

This is where we come unstuck, as it will not link to the internet as it is telling me there is no dial tone??

Have tried to make a new connection to the internet but still get the same error message??

wiring up should be as follows, phone socket + adsl filter (one used with previous modem ok, connect phone line to router, router topc via ethernet cable,

you should be abale tolog into the router with out having phone line connected. Also note you dont need a dial-up option for router, it just connect directly,so delete the old tiscali dial-up from network places

allthe router requires is the username and password

wiring up should be as follows, phone socket + adsl filter (one used with previous modem ok, connect phone line to router, router topc via ethernet cable,

you should be abale tolog into the router with out having phone line connected. Also note you dont need a dial-up option for router, it just connect directly,so delete the old tiscali dial-up from network places

allthe router requires is the username and password

Will try again soon!!

There was me thinking you couldn't give a WAG54G away! Sorry.

I have powered down the PC, linked the router up and turned on the PC. In the destructions it then tells you to open your browser and type into the address bar http://192.168.1.1

This is where we come unstuck, as it will not link to the internet as it is telling me there is no dial tone??

Have tried to make a new connection to the internet but still get the same error message??

You have IE configured to dial a connection. You don't want that.

If you still cant connect to http://192.168.1.1, temporarilly configure your NIC to a static address of something like 192.168.1.50, something on the same range. Should get you going in terms of access to the router to configure how you like.

Have done that, and tried going through the manual.

Your system is trying to dial out on a non-existant modem. You need to tell it not to.

Go to Tools in Intenet Explorer, Select Internet Options, then the Connections tab. Make sure that "Never Dial Connection" is checked. Back out and you should then be able to connect to the router

Ooops - never read Grahams reply!

Trying again!!

"Im going outside, I may be some time!!"

Back again!!

Nope, powered down my PC, conected the router, booted up and tried to log on. Have never dial a conection ticked. Got message that an internet connection is not available!

Also, on the router the power light and Wlan light are on, but not the ADSL??

You must have a filter on every phone socket that has something plugged into it, or the ADSL may drop.

I had this problem (no ADSL light), and it turned out to be a socket installed under a work top with an extension ringer plugged in. I never even knew it was there, but it was enough to kill the ADSL. I had filters on the other 3 sockets (which had phones plugged into them).

If you have an alarm system that's connected to the phone line, that needs a filter inserting as well.

Edit: PS make sure the router is plugged directly into the BT master socket too, if it works there but not in an extension socket then you'll need to get your wiring checked out.

Last edited:
My tiscali modem works fine, and it is on an extension socket with filter.

Do you think the router will be more sensative to this??

Back again!!

Nope, powered down my PC, conected the router, booted up and tried to log on. Have never dial a conection ticked. Got message that an internet connection is not available!

Also, on the router the power light and Wlan light are on, but not the ADSL??

Do you know how to check if your ethernet connection has picked up an IP address from the router? If you are running XP, you should be able to click on Start>Control Panel>Network connections>Local Area Connection and then click on the 'Support' tab on the panel that comes up.

If you see a network IP address of something like 192.168.1.3x or very similar, then you should be able to connect to the router, if it starts 169.x.x.x then you have not picked up an address.

I would guess that the reason you may have not picked up an address is that you are either not correctly connected or that the router has not been correctly reset to factory defaults yet.

I would offer to pop around if I'm not too far away but I'm without car at the mo' until IBW has finished with my new, old motor.

Your ADSL light won't be on until you have correctly configured the router to connect to your ADSL supplier.

Good luck

May also want to get a proper adsl phone cable,for some reason extensions,and even the cable that came with the modem may not work with the router, and filters can gof aulty,had two die on me for no reason

Do you know how to check if your ethernet connection has picked up an IP address from the router? If you are running XP, you should be able to click on Start>Control Panel>Network connections>Local Area Connection and then click on the 'Support' tab on the panel that comes up.

If you see a network IP address of something like 192.168.1.3x or very similar, then you should be able to connect to the router, if it starts 169.x.x.x then you have not picked up an address.

I would guess that the reason you may have not picked up an address is that you are either not correctly connected or that the router has not been correctly reset to factory defaults yet.

I would offer to pop around if I'm not too far away but I'm without car at the mo' until IBW has finished with my new, old motor.

Your ADSL light won't be on until you have correctly configured the router to connect to your ADSL supplier.

Good luck

Tried this, but cant see a support panel, and the local area conection has a red cross on it. It says network cable unplugged, but it isnt??

Tried this, but cant see a support panel, and the local area conection has a red cross on it. It says network cable unplugged, but it isnt??

1) have you used nic before and has it worked
2) check BIOS for LAN disbaled, some pc's will still show in windows even though disabled in bios
3) faulty NIC Cable
4) whilst all connected do a reset again on router to see if NIC picks up

1) have you used nic before and has it worked
2) check BIOS for LAN disbaled, some pc's will still show in windows even though disabled in bios
3) faulty NIC Cable
4) whilst all connected do a reset again on router to see if NIC picks up

Yes, used the ehternet cable to connect to my laptop OK.

Will try a reset again!!!

Really stupid suggestion - do you have the netwwork cable plugged into the correct socket on your PC? (and yes, I have done that before - and I know about these things!) If yes, is the NIC enabled in the PC bios?

Last edited:
Really stupid suggestion - do you have the newtwork cable plugged into the correct socket on your PC? (and yes, I have done that before - and I know about these things!) If yes, is the NIC enabled in the PC bios?

Yes, they are all labeled on the back of the computer, thanks Sony!!

It worked OK with a network card to my laptop.

if your network icon has a red cross through, it doesn't matter if it worked before or not, something is wrong with your network connection first and foremost.

You need to check all of the connections, router end and computer end, make sure they are plugged in all the way home, make sure the network card is enabled correctly in the device manager, wiggle the cable in the plug whilst connected, see if it makes any difference to the lights at eithe rend of the cable (router or computer).

If all the above has no effect, try the cable again in your laptop and use that to configure the router, as it works.

Hope that is of help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom